got ethical husbandry?

Bumbling newbie's 65g mixed reef

Looks good.
You might want to get some hose clamps on there.
The warm water + time may loosen those joints up.

I am not sure a lip is all that important. It is unlikely to slide around on the top.
What really matters is lateral supports, to keep stand from toppling like a domino structure.

Looks good.
You might want to get some hose clamps on there.
The warm water + time may loosen those joints up.

I am not sure a lip is all that important. It is unlikely to slide around on the top.
What really matters is lateral supports, to keep stand from toppling like a domino structure.

Thanks Mark. I actually added zip ties to the hose fittings. I wonder if that will hold? I do check every other day or so for leaks, but I imagine that may change over time, as I get comfortable with it all.

Welcome DeeAnn. Nobody responded to your earthquake concerns so...

Here is a somewhat cheesy video about the subject. As a totally off topic comment, it was filmed at my alma mater. :)

Hrm, based on those demonstrations, the second earthquake has to be more than an 8.0 earthquake and if you have anything in that range, I'm sure there are other things that are more important to worry about at that point. However, it's still a good idea to have some sort of lateral support if you want to be extremely safe.

Hrm, based on those demonstrations, the second earthquake has to be more than an 8.0 earthquake and if you have anything in that range, I'm sure there are other things that are more important to worry about at that point. However, it's still a good idea to have some sort of lateral support if you want to be extremely safe.

Very true about having other things to worry about in an 8.0 quake. But honestly, I'm an animal lover, and having no kids, my first worry would be my pets, dogs and (soon) fish and coral. And my hubby, having installed them himself, really worries about his floors. IDK if he would be willing to accept bigger tanks later if I ruined his floors. LOL

In my continued attempts to keep myself from stocking my tank too soon (out of impatience), I will write about my rock work

Before all of the plumbing started, I purchased 40 lbs of pukani rock from BRS and left it currying for about a month. I wonder if this was really necessary since I never did catch a wiff of the stinky decomposing smell that you're supposed to get during this process.

During the currying process I spent some time trying to figure out how I would scape my tank. I knew I wanted to create a lot of overhangs and tunnels, and decided the PVC frame was a great idea. After some trial and error, this is close to what I ended up with for a frame.

With all (most) of the PVC covered by rock I was pretty happy with it, until I got it in the tank...

Then the structures just looked HUGE. The tallest was way too tall. I felt that I would never be able to get any coral up there. So, I took it all out and shorted both structures, suffering my first tank-related injury. I know it's a small thing, but at least now I can say, "I've bled for my hobby!" LOL

Anyway, I shortened both structures, and dang it if I don't have a current picture! Well, I'll take one tonight, and post it tomorrow... when I write all about the first time I flooded my living room floor.

Last edited:
I also bought rock from BRS. It took more than 4 months for the phosphate levels to drop to a point where it wouldn't drop anymore. I also used a chemical to help with the cure. I could have done more, but I didn't have the necessary items/tools.

If you haven't already, maybe picking up a tool to measure phosphates may be a good idea.

I also bought rock from BRS. It took more than 4 months for the phosphate levels to drop to a point where it wouldn't drop anymore. I also used a chemical to help with the cure. I could have done more, but I didn't have the necessary items/tools.

If you haven't already, maybe picking up a tool to measure phosphates may be a good idea.
Oh wow! Really? I'll pick one up tomorrow. Thanks SO much for the heads up!

Oh wow! Really? I'll pick one up tomorrow. Thanks SO much for the heads up!

Good luck! I measured phosphates every week, and I eventually used GFO to bring it down to ~.04-ish (or something really low). I still ended up with hair algae (everywhere) and some turf algae (in some places), which turbo snails, emerald crabs, and a few blue hermits helped take care of within a few weeks. Then I was able to really stock the tank.

Lots of snail and clean-up-crew poop, but the water changes every week took care of the resulting nitrates (which I also monitored).

btw, I bought the tonga rock and I believe the pukani rock. About 80 lbs total, of which I only used about 55-60 lbs after the cure.
lots of poop. that's for sure.

Tonight I was going to write all about the first (and hopefully last) time I flooded my living room floor, but my Reef Angel arrived today, and I'm way too anxious to get it all together for much more writing. EEEEE!

I also had problems with phosphate for the first 7-8 months with the pukani rock.
You might want to invest in a decent Phosphate kit. I use the Hannah Checker. It's not perfect, but it is VERY easy to use, thus.......I actually use it. Others I found to be a bit more labor intensive and I didn't use them after a while. They don't help much if you don't use them. ;) Yes, I can be very lazy sometimes.

If phosphates become a problem........ I highly recommend a GFO reactor. Doesn't have to be fancy, just something to very slowly push water through. I think the "two little fishies" one would be fine, but there are MANY options. Once you get things somewhat stable, an Urchin can do wonders. They can be a little finicky though, so you want your parameters to be good BEFORE you get one. I recommend the tuxedo urchin. You will always be given a LOT of opinions and options, so don't let that frustrate you. Just listen to all of them and make the best decision you can. Just part of the process. Seems like you are enjoying it so far, so I think your gonna do fine. Thanks for all the updates.

While phosphate in excess is problematic...algae and polyp withdrawal.
A GFO reactor will help, water changes will be your best friend.
My moto: the solution to pollution is dilution.
While I know it bothers many...I test nothing!
But I am religious about my frequent large (30% every 10days) water changes

Some people soak new rock in vinegar or hydrochloric acid solution.
It dissolves the outer parts of the rock, essentially super-cleaning it.
Generally eliminates most phosphate issues, plus opens the pores for new life.
Of course, be careful. Left in too long, it will dissolve ALL of your rock. :eek:

i think he's already got the rock in the tank already, so it might be a little late to use vinegar/acid.

just FYI, i bought the deluxe BRS reactor. It has it's issues of tumbling, but nothing major that I can't get a good tumble going.

Of course, be careful. Left in too long, it will dissolve ALL of your rock. :eek:
I think I'm going to do that with my rock when I finally get around to getting my DT up. I'm tired of the phosphate issues in the 20L. :(
i think he's already got the rock in the tank already, so it might be a little late to use vinegar/acid.

just FYI, i bought the deluxe BRS reactor. It has it's issues of tumbling, but nothing major that I can't get a good tumble going.
Yeah, i think I'm going to get rid of mine and get an AquaMaxx one instead.

I also had problems with phosphate for the first 7-8 months with the pukani rock.
You might want to invest in a decent Phosphate kit. I use the Hannah Checker. It's not perfect, but it is VERY easy to use, thus.......I actually use it. Others I found to be a bit more labor intensive and I didn't use them after a while. They don't help much if you don't use them. ;) Yes, I can be very lazy sometimes.

If phosphates become a problem........ I highly recommend a GFO reactor. Doesn't have to be fancy, just something to very slowly push water through. I think the "two little fishies" one would be fine, but there are MANY options. Once you get things somewhat stable, an Urchin can do wonders. They can be a little finicky though, so you want your parameters to be good BEFORE you get one. I recommend the tuxedo urchin. You will always be given a LOT of opinions and options, so don't let that frustrate you. Just listen to all of them and make the best decision you can. Just part of the process. Seems like you are enjoying it so far, so I think your gonna do fine. Thanks for all the updates.
7-8 months? Geeze! I reall didn't think phosphates would be at big on an issue. Based on gimmito and nryh's recommendations, I did order the API kit which includes a phosphate test. I will start checking when it arrives. I don't think I can hold out for 8 months before getting livestock in my tank. So, I guess I may have to implement some kind of GFO reactor. I will take a look at the two little fishes version. Thanks!

Rock is already in the tank. I probably would have went that route had I known about it. Next time.

While phosphate in excess is problematic...algae and polyp withdrawal.
A GFO reactor will help, water changes will be your best friend.
My moto: the solution to pollution is dilution.
While I know it bothers many...I test nothing!
But I am religious about my frequent large (30% every 10days) water changes
I could do 30% every 10 days.

Back