Kessil

Bumbling newbie's 65g mixed reef

I'm experiencing a small diatom bloom, so bought four trochus. So, I decided I had better read up on these little guys. Wow! Who knew that snails could live for decades? Over 100 years?!? :eek:

Last edited:
I finally worked up the nerve to dip my frags, and DANG! Check out what came out of this one GSP. This poor little guy had 3 of these orangey/pinkish freaky worms. I also saw something that looked like a tiny Daddy Long Leggs. Don't know which one it came from, but that was a scary process. I'm SO glad that the frags were in my QT and not my DT. I only dipped for 5 minutes. Should I dip again in a few days? Longer next time? Or are they ready to go into the DT now?

Last edited:
Congrats on your first dip ! The orange/pink freaky worm looks like a bristle worm...careful not to touch them or they will sting you. The daddy long legs sounds like a brittle star and are harmless. 5 minutes should be fine...use a turkey baster to blow the dip mixture into the crevices of the coral frags.

I had another bumbling moment today... and all I have to say is, "thank goodness for CFGI!" I swear I didn't feel a thing.

Anyway, I found two of these on my live rock today.

They're harmless, right? It's just a fan worm or feather duster, right?

Live Aquaria is very reputable, right? How are their prices?

This beginner softie pack is gorgeous, but is it worth $119.99?

Here's another pretty softie pack for $149.99. What do you think?

And a beginner SPS pack, which I may not be ready for, but it's on sale for$99.99.

So far I've only bought frags at my LFS. Have I gotten off easy? Or is this what I should expect to pay?

honestly those packs seem quite overpriced but that may just be me being biased.. Im sure you could find better deals on cooler softies if you keep looking at your LFS! plus you dont have to pay shipping and you support local business :]!

on another note, if you were to get a frag pack, that little neon green leather is a sweet little dude! best of luck filling your tank!

I would suggest going to BAP with some cash before buying from Liveaquaria.
It sounds like there will be a lot of corals for sale, and you are likely to get pretty good deals.
Only 11 more days!

I will definitely wait to buy anymore corals until after BAP. Thanks you guys.

In other news, I got my first fish today!!! I really have to thank David (lattehiatus) for the gift. These two gorgeous clowns are home and seem to be doing very well. I apologize about the color. Apparently I had some wierd filter set on my phone.

Celebrity photo op.

ETA: Wayde is busting up because I accidentally kicked his wife to the curb by handing her the camera to take the picture, instead of letting her be in the shot. Oopsie! hehehe...

Last edited:
... And I made a few purchases, disappointingly not as many as I would have like. Most of the "vendors" there weren't actually selling anything... Something about having to buy an expensive retail license in O.C.

But we are planning to stop at a couple SoCal LFS tomorrow on our way home. Exotic Reef Imports and Vivid Aquariums here we come.

Celebrity photo op.

ETA: Wayde is busting up because I accidentally kicked his wife to the curb by handing her the camera to take the picture, instead of letting her be in the shot. Oopsie! hehehe...
Heather's not there, she couldn't make it. The Heather that was there was Frankie's girlfriend.
... And I made a few purchases, disappointingly not as many as I would have like. Most of the "vendors" there weren't actually selling anything... Something about having to buy an expensive retail license in O.C.

But we are planning to stop at a couple SoCal LFS tomorrow on our way home. Exotic Reef Imports and Vivid Aquariums here we come.

What do you mean most of the "vendors" weren't actually selling anything? I'm fairly certain most were selling either fish or coral with a select few selling equipment. How are you going to Exotic Reef Imports? The last I checked, only those who have established a vendor relationship with them can go there.

Back