High Tide Aquatics

But do I need more??

The curse of this hobby is always wondering if you need more of something.... and so I find myself constantly debating whether I’d need more flow in my new tank build.

70g tank, dims are 36x24x18.
Current plan for powerheads are:
1x mp40
1x mp10

I’ve been curious about gyre flow and so I’m wondering of I should add a maxspect xf230 or would it be overkill? While I have no doubt that my current plan would be able to churn out the required gph, I’m thinking more varied, multi-directional flow is good?

Some additional info that could be relevant to this question:
- Yes, I plan to have a 1-2” sandbed
- corals would be a mixed reef with a balanced variety of LPS and SPS.... and some softies.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
What’s your plan for controlling the pumps? To me, it seems like a not great idea to try to mix two different brands and have to try to figure out how to sync up the controls

Thats a relevant consideration and probably the biggest reason for me leaning towards not adding it. However, if I think about it, its not too much work to hit the button on a separate controller to stop the pump when needed. Additionally if it is plugged into the apex I could manage the outlet on a schedule to coincide with feed times.

Last edited:
Thats a relevant consideration and probably the biggest reason for me leaning towards not adding it. However, if I think about it, its not too much work to hit the button on a separate controller to stop the pump when needed. Additionally if it is plugged into the apex I could manage the outlet on a schedule to coincide with scheduled feed modes.

If it were me, I’d upgrade to two MP40’s instead of over complicating the system. Assuming you are planning them to be facing each other, there are plenty of opportunities for random/varied flow.

I also had one of the original gyres and I pretty much regretted the “upgrade” from my MP10. It was difficult to disassemble without breaking something and almost impossible to get back together perfectly enough that it didn’t make noise or stall entirely. It also has twice as many parts to clean and re-assemble. Cleaning two MP40’s is going to be way easier than cleaning 3 different pumps.

If it were me, I’d upgrade to two MP40’s instead of over complicating the system. Assuming you are planning them to be facing each other, there are plenty of opportunities for random/varied flow.

I also had one of the original gyres and I pretty much regretted the “upgrade” from my MP10. It was difficult to disassemble without breaking something and almost impossible to get back together perfectly enough that it didn’t make noise or stall entirely. It also has twice as many parts to clean and re-assemble. Cleaning two MP40’s is going to be way easier than cleaning 3 different pumps.
Point taken, but I wouldnt count mp10 as a diff pump from mp40. Essentially the same thing with just a diff in size.

You clean your MP40s? I just tell mine to walk it off (ok, if it gets bad I scrape the outside with a fingernail).
From a price perspective Gyres are a win, and they have advantages as tanks get shallower. From a durability, noise, or maintenance perspective they are a loss.

From what I have seen, usually the need is "better" flow, not "more."
Fill in the dead spots, do not overdo other spots.
(like lighting)
As such, more mid-size power heads that can be directed different ways is usually the solution.

Back