Reef nutrition

Ca, MG, Alk and coraline algae

So after analyzing all the ph/alk/mg troubles with my ald tank I have realized that my low ph/alk could be due to coraline growth.
I have loits of it growing everywhere, including 3 sides of the tank, rocks, powrheads. Could it be that it was coraline sucking all my alk and MG so fast? That's my only explanation since I have/had only a few sps (like 4 sticks total) and 1 small 3in clam.

Are there any ideas as to if coraline can be a cause here and if so, will adding 1/2 urchins help?

I doubt it sucking all your MG but it is effecting your ALK levels. I personally don't like the look of coraline on the glass. It's not only distracting, but I also don't like the fact it's taking stuff intended for my corals which I do want to grow :)

yeah Gresh - I have exactly same feeling. Also my wife agreed to have a new tank ONLY if I keep all sides of the tank INCLUDING back side free of algae, especially coraline. So I'll get 1 or even 2 tuxeedo urchins since scraping FOUR 2x2 glass walls every day will be pain.

You could do what they do in public aquariums... install a removable back wall. I suspect if it was flexible enough you could simply bend it to get the coralline to fall off, and dry it out to kill the algae which then is very easy to scrub off.

Vlad, are you dosing two part? How much? As long as you have a Ca reactor or are dosing two part regularly it should be easy to keep up with the coraline.

vlad, I have two urchins (pencil, tuxedo) they do eat coraline, but not nearly enough fast enough to keep it off the glass. Changing lights might help, I find higher K lights seem to grow more coraline. But I agree with pixielpixi, get a CA reactor or otherwise dose.

V

Back