High Tide Aquatics

CAD Lights 46G

I have a wall in my office that I frag behind. I also shut the door to the office as well. :)

I don't think I've posted this before. My DIY Vertex manual neck cleaner.
vertex_manual_scraper.jpg

This is very neat DYI. Do you mind sharing all the part that you used on this please? I would like to make one similar. Thanks

This is very neat DYI. Do you mind sharing all the part that you used on this please? I would like to make one similar. Thanks

Sure can, but it's still not inexpensive since OEM parts are used.

upload_2017-3-15_11-36-40.png

upload_2017-3-15_11-35-18.png

upload_2017-3-15_11-34-41.png

The two parts were shipped separately since they didn't have the wiper blade in stock. They actually had it on backorder at the time and had to pull mine off from an existing vectra head cleaner (hence the separate shipping charges).

The screw used on the cap is from HD and was a couple of dollars. M6-1.00 x 25 metric ss button head cap screw.

Yep, I use them for fragging, inspecting new/old frags/corals, or just for anything that I need to see in details. Even got an LED attachment for it to provide more light as needed.

Guess people can't read in the DBTC threads. I've got multiple people signing up for more than one frag. I'm not putting their names on the list until they actually nail down one frag, instead of multiples.
You need some real loupes.
Lol I think that will take a while to sink in.
Eric needs one of these.
20170317_081812.jpg

Don't those need to be custom made? Would think they have to measure your ipd for the loupes to be put in the correct location

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gablami, what type of loupes did you get? For what purpose?

Vhuang168, they do make flip down loupes that don't require custom fitting. I personally like the through the lens loupes. I feel that I see better when the lenses are closer to my eyes.

I had designs for vision for many years, and recently got orascopic (which merged with surgical acuity). Yes I've tried the flip down ones with the zeiss lenses, which are nice optically but quite heavy. I also don't like that they are universal and not custom, and thus more tempting to a thief. I use the loupes in the operating room. Fortunately my work covers the cost of the loupes :) and I have multiple sets now. Good for removing splinters and cutting baby fingernails!

I've had several sets so far as well. One flip surgitel, one ttl surigetel, and this last set made by lumadent. The lumadent is the cheapest by far but i like it the best. I also diy'd a set of flip downs for a diode lasers. My back up set I recently brought home and use it on the kids like you. Unfortunately I am my own boss so I have to pay for these myself.

I've had several sets so far as well. One flip surgitel, one ttl surigetel, and this last set made by lumadent. The lumadent is the cheapest by far but i like it the best. I also diy'd a set of flip downs for a diode lasers. My back up set I recently brought home and use it on the kids like you. Unfortunately I am my own boss so I have to pay for these myself.
Yeah, but you just deduct them at the end of the year.

What kind of magnification do you get from those?

How's your tank doing by the way?

My last set is 4x magnification. I think they may go up to 6x ish. After that its a microscope. Problem is higher the mag the heavier the loupes.
My tank is the same, no change. I have not been doing much to it. The next tank will be at the office when the time comes for a remodel. May not be for a while. What I need is a day off during the week where I can focus on hobbies, jk.

Yeah, those loupes aren't happening for a hobby. :eek:

Might need to look at lighting again. The fan on the right Vega has slowed down versus the left one and the pucks on the right will turn off as a safety feature due to the heat. I can pick up a replacement fan from AI, but these lights are a bit long on the tooth. I need the Philips to hit stateside, or take a look at the mitras if that doesn't happen soon.

My last set is 4x magnification. I think they may go up to 6x ish. After that its a microscope. Problem is higher the mag the heavier the loupes.
My tank is the same, no change. I have not been doing much to it. The next tank will be at the office when the time comes for a remodel. May not be for a while. What I need is a day off during the week where I can focus on hobbies, jk.
Let me know when you're doing the remodel. You're a bit outside of my geographical work area but I'd like help if I can.

Haven't updated in awhile so here goes.

I wasn't really happy with the scape in the tank and was out of room to mount sps to, so I decided to make the change from the BRS reefsaver that I've had in the tank for since the tank was set up over to Tonga branch rock. The swap was done over the course of two rounds with the right side being done first, where approximately 40% of the rocks were. Once things had settled down a bit (once I saw coralline start to encrust the new Tonga), I did the entire left side.

Here's the new rockwork as of today. I still need to clean up the odd frags on the sandbed and then just let things grow in from there. I also need to get in and scrape the back walls on my next monthly scrub down.

fts_050817.jpg

Wild frag from one of the LFS. Grew into a decent looking mini so far.
crc_frag01_051117.jpg

Another LFS wild frag. This one is starting to look decent. It's got a pretty blue base with pink tips from what I see so far.
crc_unknown_tabler_051117.jpg

Wild millie. Pink axial tips and a rainbow of colors in the base polyps. Can't wait to see what happens to this one as it grows.
crc_frag04_051117.jpg

Went to the same LFS with a buddy and his wife awhile back. They were window shopping and were going back between a couple of frags and couldn't decide on whether they wanted them or not. I picked both of them up and growing them out. This one was picked up by his wife and has receded quite a bit after my alk issues earlier in the year. It's rebounding and it looks like it's on the mend.
jamies_frag_051117.jpg

Tierra del Fuego
tierra_del_fuego_051117.jpg

Sunset monti. Requires very little light and actually sits right below one of the Tonga branches in the shade.
sunset_monti_051117.jpg

Orenji danae. Sits above some of the cluster of zoas (from left to right: RR banana boat, RR fruit loops, rastas, PPEs)
orenji_danae_051117.jpg

Garf bonsai. Decent grower and mini colony in size now.
garf_bonsai_051117.jpg

Becker tort
becker_tort_051117.jpg

One of the only deepwater in the tank.
neptune_deepwater_051117.jpg

This was sold to me by the same person that sold me the RR pink floyd. He didn't remember what it was at the time and gave me a great deal on it. He's since ID this one as the WT mother of pearl.
yellow_base_with_purple_tips_tort_51117.jpg

RR pink floyd. Got ugly when I was messing with nitrate dosing.
rr_pink_floyd_051117.jpg

Nub of the POTO rise and shine.
poto_riseandshine_051117.jpg

ASD rainbow table
asd_rainbow_table_topdown_051117.jpg

Pretty wicked wild piece that's colored up well. Also grows relatively quick. It competes with my Oregon torts as the centerpiece in the tank.
crc_frag_051117.jpg

Speaking of Oregon tort. These two pieces were at one point one frag. I accidentally broke the tip off the one on the right near the center and reglued it back on. The snails knocked it off afterwards and I decided to glue that tip on a plug instead. That tip grew like steroids for some reason and became what you see on the left piece there. I'm sticking them next to each other so that they can fuse and regrow back into one larger piece.
oregon_torts_051117.jpg

ORA pearlberry. This one transitioned for me and has stayed this color for awhile now.
pearlberry_051117.jpg

CRC purple cadillac. Purple with red polyps. One of my favorites even though it's such a slow grower.
crc_purple_cadillac_051117.jpg

TCK lightning bolt
tck_lbolt_051117.jpg

PC rainbow
pc_rainbow_051117.jpg

RR Canada orange passion
rr_canada_op_051117.jpg

This frag being worked on by one of my ginormous turbos is none other than the homewrecker itself. Probably won't wreck any homes under my lighting haha.
tris_homewrecker_051117.jpg

Last but not least, one of the slower growers in the tank. Purple monster.
purple_monster_051117.jpg

Last edited:
Nice pics as always! I think that pearlberry is my favorite. Also pretty cool you were able to pick up a purple monster.

Do you know that lineage of the PM?

PM should have very light to white polyps.

Hard to tell right now but growth patterns looks different as well.

Yes, lineage of it is traced back all the way to Tyree himself.

Also, PM polyps can change depending on nutrient levels.

When it came in, it was much paler where the polyps were white.

You can also check out some of the other lineage PM pieces where the whites are on the terminal polyps, but as you get further away from the tips, the polyps are a different color.

Here's a pic of the PM on Steve's site with the blue polyps.
purplemonster_garretsfragment.jpg

Still waiting for it to grow out and pick up the customary PM shape.

Here's another one of the same lineage in another tank.
8297098427889710351%253Faccount_id%253D1

Yep, that's one of the things that I wanted to verify before I pick up a piece like the PM.

The next two pieces also already have their lineage confirmed as well - WD with lineage back to Mike Big R and a lineage pink panther (not the LiveAquaria one). Expecting those in the next month or so.

Back