Jestersix

CAD Lights 46G

no clam? your tank sucks until then....o_O

There's always room for a clam or three. ;)

Not much happening to the tank. Added the ammonia and Dr. Tim's last Thursday and the tank has been just sitting and doing it's own thing. First signs of diatom showed up yesterday with some spots which has grown in size today. It probably started appearing over the weekend, but wasn't around to see it. The ATO is working well and looks like it'll be enough to last a week if I fill it up all the way to the top.

To dos:
  1. Add Apex to monitor the system.
  2. Figure out how I want to clean up the cords.
Oh, I should also keep one of my backup camera in the office. The phone doesn't do well w/the white balance and the spotlighting effect from the LEDs.

Work in progress. Need to do quite a bit of tidying up still (also need to consider for next stand build...)
1619191622323.png

electricalswip.jpg

Last edited:
None of that would fit inside the stand?
If possible it is best to not have in inside the stand due to moisture from the sump, yet I am calling the kettle black as all my Apex stuff is next to my sump in the stand.

In my next project I will be moving all my Apex equipment to a stand next to the tank to help make sure that the electronics will be way from the moisture as much as possible.

I had a power strip mounted in my sump cabinet. When the skimmer overflowed while I was gone, small amounts of water would splash onto the power strip and trigger my GCFI, shutting down the equipment plugged into it. Luckily nothing died.

None of that would fit inside the stand?
If possible it is best to not have in inside the stand due to moisture from the sump, yet I am calling the kettle black as all my Apex stuff is next to my sump in the stand.

In my next project I will be moving all my Apex equipment to a stand next to the tank to help make sure that the electronics will be way from the moisture as much as possible.
I had a power strip mounted in my sump cabinet. When the skimmer overflowed while I was gone, small amounts of water would splash onto the power strip and trigger my GCFI, shutting down the equipment plugged into it. Luckily nothing died.

All of it could technically fit in the stand, but I leaving it outside for the same reasons that are referenced. There's moisture in the stand, especially from the skimmer when it overflows, so I'd rather not have the electronics inside the stand. The remainder of the space next to the sump will be occupied by the dosing containers and the dosing pump. For my next stand build, I'm going with a larger and taller base for the tank and leaving room on one side of the stand with a recess for the equipment (4-6" recess on the right side with a glass/acrylic magnetic door lighted by LEDs). I'm already thinking of building another stand to replace the current one, but that's really low on the priorities at the moment.

I always loved your tanks

Thanks!

Look at you Eric with the raceways for all the wiring so it all looks clean...

Closest I've done to that is zipties to get it all in one big rope bundle which was great until I needed to remove one wire, then I said screw it and left it as it is :D

All of it could technically fit in the stand, but I leaving it outside for the same reasons that are referenced. There's moisture in the stand, especially from the skimmer when it overflows, so I'd rather not have the electronics inside the stand. The remainder of the space next to the sump will be occupied by the dosing containers and the dosing pump. For my next stand build, I'm going with a larger and taller base for the tank and leaving room on one side of the stand with a recess for the equipment (4-6" recess on the right side with a glass/acrylic magnetic door lighted by LEDs). I'm already thinking of building another stand to replace the current one, but that's really low on the priorities at the moment.

Thanks!

I guess you are building the new stand either at my place or Ian's?

Look at you Eric with the raceways for all the wiring so it all looks clean...

Closest I've done to that is zipties to get it all in one big rope bundle which was great until I needed to remove one wire, then I said screw it and left it as it is :D

Raceways are cheap for the looks. Not planning to remove any wires (knock on wood). :D

I guess you are building the new stand either at my place or Ian's?

I gotta measure the interior of the car to see if it'll fit for transport. If it isn't, I'm gonna commandeer one of the unused conference rooms at work and just build it here. That won't be for awhile though. I rather spend the funds and the time to get this tank fully running and filled in first.

Started to measure Ca, Alk, and Mg and will be hooking up the BM doser in the coming days. I looked at the different dosing containers out there and there are quite a variety of them out there. I really like the Marine Color three chamber container, but it takes a month to arrive from China. After looking at some online videos and threads for what others are using, I went to the Container Store to see if they had OXO glass canisters. They're not inexpensive, but they're food grade containers and are pretty easy to mod. Here's one of the 2.3L with Quick Disconnects on the lid.
1619191685481.png

dosing_containers.jpg

The 2.3L containers will be for the Ca and Alk, with a smaller 1.5L for the Mg. I still need the rigid tubing to finish them off and will keep on checking the daily intake from the corals to see what's required.

Speaking of corals, here's some of them in the tank, courtesy of Boun. :)

Frogspawn from Neptune
frogspawn_041516.jpg
1619191782485.png

Supposedly a Miami orchid
miami_orchid_041516.jpg
1619191793485.png

PPEs
ppe_041516.jpg
1619191808470.png

Setosa and digitata (photobomb by one of the 4 green chromis)
setosa_with_digitata_041516.jpg
1619191822402.png

Starburst cap bleached from when I had my lights only 4" above the water line. I've raised the lights up to 8" now and it's recovering.
starburst_cap_041516.jpg
1619191833955.png

Last edited:
Just did the first official water change on the tank. 10G to clear out some of the PraziPro from the system. Will be doing a second round next week. Oh, for those wondering why I'm running Prazi, it's because of a couple of new additions to the tank - mainly a 2" tomini tang and a 3.5" Sumatra YB regal (from AC).
1619191917766.png

regal_angel_042216.jpg

Same frogspawn. Looks like it's pushing some babies at the tissue margin and ready for their own branches.
frogspawn_babies_042216.jpg
1619191929203.png

Crayola plana (AC)
crayola_plana_042216.jpg
1619191940650.png

Last edited:
Beautiful fish. Hope you are planning on a tank upgrade in the near future. Regals get to be about 10".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Expecting it to grow about 1-2"/year from others experiences. I asked Reef Savvy for a quote a couple of days ago and just waiting for them to get back to me. It'll at least give me a figure to work with and build around. If it doesn't work within the timeframe, then I'll be rehoming the fish (know a couple of guys with 200G+ tanks).

Was over at AC on Saturday and picked these up.

For the sandbed.
fighting_conch.jpg
1619192044967.png

Tiger nassarius. Also for the sandbed and general cuc. Karson mentioned that it was reef safe so we'll see. Proceeded to burrow right into the sand and disappeared after being dropped into the tank.
tiger_nassarius.jpg
1619192057371.png

Various rics
1619192070007.png
orange_blue_yuma.jpg

rainbow_florida_ric.jpg
1619192082756.png

green_florida_ric.jpg

1619192094432.png

Didn't leave w/out a stick
mariculture_acro_ac.jpg
1619192112475.png

Also was on the lookout for some rfa so an order was placed and I received these this morning.
vip_reef_rfa_greenandwhiteouters.jpg
1619192218634.png

1619192235825.png

1619192248442.png

VIP_reef_rfa_rainbow_redandgreen.jpg

Last edited:
Back