Neptune Aquatics

Calcium Wow's

Ok, I've been struggling for a while trying to keep my calcium up so I finally got frustrated and bought a different brand test kit to jic. Well my Seachem kit came with a reference sample and I used that to make sure I was using the kit properly and I was. Today I bought a Nutrafin kit and tested it against the Seachem ref sample and it's way off. My water tests 400 on the nutrafin and 300 roughly on the seachem. Who do I believe? I wish I had a known reference or something.

300? wow..FWIW seachems Ca kit always showed low numbers for me as well...i tried 3 different kits at the same time using 1 batch of water and it tested as follows:

Seachem: 360
API: 420
Salifert: 400

I use the API kit and round down 20ppm everytime i test

It is funny how you get a reference solution form the company that makes the kit, of course it's gonna match up, duh ::)

My Seachem tests a little lower than my Salifert, but usually by ~20 ppm, not 40. After getting three different Salifert Alk kits that each read differently, I lean toward Seachem. They seem to be consistent form kit to kit, it may read a little wrong, but at least my params are stable :D

Back