Reef nutrition

Calcium you use for your tank?

I'm going to have to start dosing Calcium in my tank, and would like to know which types you all use? Or better yet, any brands to stay away from?

I've used BRS calcium chloride dihydrate and Leslies Pool Supply "Hardness Plus" (anhydrous Calcium Chloride) both without any issues.

It's been a long time since I've purchased any. Don't remember the cost. I guess the cost effectiveness would be determined by how close you live to a Leslie's.

if you use leslies, be aware that anhydrous gets hot when you add water. When you add water (or visa-verse), mix right away to dissipate heat...it can bet REALLY hot.

Gomer said:
if you use leslies, be aware that anhydrous gets hot when you add water. When you add water (or visa-verse), mix right away to dissipate heat...it can bet REALLY hot.
And I believe it is 20% stronger than the Ca in Randy's.

Gomer said:
+1
I have been using this for over a year and have not had any problems with it yet.

patchin said:
And I believe it is 20% stronger than the Ca in Randy's.

More or less. 76g of CaCl2 anhydrous contains as much calcium as 100g of CaCl2 dihydrate.

The caveat here is that anhydrous calcium chloride will absorb water from the air pretty quickly and make weighing it accurately very difficult. Easiest thing to do is dissolve it all in water right away or at least keep it as tightly sealed as you can.

Back