California Reef Co. SPS Grow Out Competition - TRACKING

Discussion in 'California Reef Company' started by California_Reef_Co, Apr 17, 2015.

1. 5 spots left!!!!!

2. boun11

boun11 Supporting Member

Okay! I'm in! I will arrange a pick up. Thanks!

Geneva likes this.
  3. neuro

neuro Webmaster

I swear it's so hard to tell, there's gotta be a better way with measuring!

Geneva and jonmos75 like this.
  4. Geneva

Geneva Supporting Member

I had to go to staples for a plastic ruler as I only had wood and metal rulers!! I wish we only had to report every other month or quarterly as I am seriously challenged holding a ruler and camera at the same time but I'm sure I'll get better at it after a few months!! (Just don't die!!)

Jruga, neuro and jonmos75 like this.
  5. sweet, just let us know

6. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

I'd suggest a volume (displacement) measurement for future competitions.

Geneva likes this.
  7. neuro

neuro Webmaster

I thought about this, but we would need to isolate the object and test the volume when it's all encrusted already.

8. Jruga

Jruga Guest

I totally thought about the same thing! I can see the results being a bit skewed because we hold the ruler a different way, or in a slightly different place. There has to be a better way to measure coral growth (and yes, @Coral reefer displacement is a cool idea if it didn't mean the coral could not encrust on a solid holdfast - which would handicap the coral more than anything else!)

Geneva likes this.
  9. wpeterson

wpeterson Webmaster

I'm all for subjective judgment here if we're willing to forgo size of the coral in inches for overall judgment of size and health from photos.

I got an awesome acro frag and I'm looking forward to watching it grow and encrust in my tank, whether the contest works or not.

jonmos75 and Geneva like this.
  10. yellojello

yellojello Supporting Member

Count me in too! I've been afk but just cleaned up my tank and replaced mp40's with gyre 150. Will stop by tomorrow.

Geneva likes this.
  11. Geneva

Geneva Supporting Member

I agree! Since I actually prefer short and fat instead of tall and skinny acro's I do not mind "losing" to the person with the tallest frag! I think we really lucked out when CRC sponsored this contest and only charged us $10 for this frag!!

wpeterson, jonmos75 and neuro like this.
  12. yellojello

yellojello Supporting Member

Just picked mine up. About 1" tall.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430434358.642631.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430434386.929866.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430434405.393948.jpg

Geneva likes this.
  13. Enderturtle

Enderturtle Volunteer

Mine's doing good. I have a mostly LPS tank and I run it dirty with mostly blues on. It's been a little over a week and I still have good color with polyp extension. Will upload a picture later.

I think there's going to be some subjectivity with contests involving length measurments. That's just how it is. California_reef_co will decide who the winner is based on the final results.

I imagine at least one of us is really good at growing SPS. So you might expect a ton of growth from one person while everyone else is kinda neck-and-neck. Or it might be a close call. There's going to be some subjectivity to all this. You've got 10-15 people all measuring things slightly differently from their own homes. Be as honest as you can and remember it's just a friendly competition. At the end of the day, you got a nice 20$ frag for 10$.

Last edited: May 1, 2015
    Geneva likes this.
  14. Geneva

Geneva Supporting Member

May we ask for a waiver if on vacation? Or withdraw?

15. jonmos75

jonmos75 Supporting Member

Here is my May Pic

June15.jpg

16. Jruga

Jruga Guest

Here's my monthly update! No real growth yet, but still looks great!

Attached Files:

17. wpeterson

wpeterson Webmaster

Here's our picture for May from 5/1:

[​IMG]

Corallus likes this.
  18. Corallus

Corallus BAR Sponsorship Coordinator

Here's mine. I don't get quite the PE @wpeterson has, but I made it mad when I hit it with the ruler while trying to take the pic, so it looks all closed up. Anyways, no growth yet, but I don't expect it to do anything for a while... Except hopefully live, and look awesome in my tank ;)
    Candlelight 5-4-15.jpg

Coral reefer and wpeterson like this.
  19. Enderturtle

Enderturtle Volunteer

Wpeterson all your coral seem to do really good. Look at that polyp extension!!!

Heres mine. His polyps were out too but i hit him.

png.png

I got a new plastic ruler for 99 cents at rite aid. My actual measurement is roughly 1.1 inch or 28mm

Last edited: May 4, 2015
    Geneva, wpeterson and jonmos75 like this.
  20. Geneva

Geneva Supporting Member

May Pictures (terrible with phone and with / without ruler)....

2015-05-05 10.05.27 (Medium).jpg 2015-05-05 10.07.05 (Medium).jpg