California Reef Co. SPS Grow Out Competition - TRACKING

Discussion in 'California Reef Company' started by California_Reef_Co, Apr 17, 2015.

1. wpeterson

wpeterson Webmaster

Ugh, sorry for the folks who got disqualified :-/

Mine is still alive and continues growing in October:

[​IMG]

jonmos75 and Geneva like this.
  2. Geneva

Geneva Supporting Member

Show off!! I concede!! Just kidding but yours looks amazing - is it the camera?? LOL - I know my phone pictures are pathetic!!

wpeterson likes this.
  3. wpeterson

wpeterson Webmaster

Thanks for the kind words. I think your colony may be bigger than mine! Everything seems to grow well in your tank, I couldn't believe how big the parent Hollywood Stunner colony was you brought to the fragging workshop. That has turned into 3 happy colonies in our tank.

I'm also happy to share frags of this guy when he gets bigger. Our tank is finally filling in, but it does mean some of our over-enthusiastic Montipora are encroaching on Acros and others, so some trimming will be in order. If you compare this colony to the red and green Montis next to it, it's shrinking in size. They'll both be abutting it in a month or two.

Geneva likes this.
  4. Nav

Nav Director of Marketing & Photography

How do you deal with an encrusting monti right next to an encrusted acro? I'm closing to having the same issue...

5. wpeterson

wpeterson Webmaster

I've been pretty hands off so far, but there are cases where the Montipora are growing right up to the base of some Acropora and releasing a lot of slime and some warfare. There's enough water volume and flow that I've let it go and it seems to subside to a truce.

As a rule, I leave 2-3" of space between each frag when I mount them, but now that it's been a year most of those gaps have been closed in the older coral colonies. I'd love to hear any advice folks with longer running tanks and larger colonies due when you get to this stage.

6. jonmos75

jonmos75 Guest

Coral warfare....I am not sure but I always try to put in perspective that I am trying to recreate the ocean so I just let things go as it does in the wild....no one goes up to the corals and think they are getting to close and separate them...It is a survival of the fittest... I understand we as hobbyist put corals in our tanks that you might not see in the wild together, but I still think the same applies...

Nav likes this.
  7. wpeterson

wpeterson Webmaster

Similar SPS seem to be on even terms where one isn't likely to massively injure the other, but I've definitely encountered different species of coral abutting others where it's an unfair fight. For example, I had a beautiful neon green chalice from @newhobby (I believe it's a Jason Fox Poison Cocktail) that was stung half to death in a matter of days by one of our Hollywood Stunner chalices mounted nearby. I moved him away to safety, but he lost half his tissues in a few days before slowly regrowing. The stunner's seem to be the most aggressive coral I've ever kept in my tank in terms of stinging sweepers (often 3"+).

The other big trouble are anemones. We lost one of our small hollywood stunner colonies to our BTA when he grew much larger while we were on vacation and stung it entirely to death.

So clearly, there are some slow conflicts of equals where both give as they get and some violent differentials of chemical force.

Geneva and Nav like this.
  8. Nav

Nav Director of Marketing & Photography

Today morning while moving a few things around, I accidentally left a baby frag of monti setosa close to my frogspawn, in just 5 min I saw those tentacles sting monti, I moved it right after I saw it but within evening those spots that were stung melted/turned white!!!

9. Anhit

Anhit Supporting Member

@Geneva your tank is amazing! yours pretty much tripled my size already....I think it is unfair to go against Geneva's tank in any grow out! Hers is soooo stable and full of nutrients for anything to blow up.

Coral reefer, Geneva and Enderturtle like this.
  10. neuro

neuro Webmaster

wow great growth from all of you. Mines hasn't even nearly grown as much as yall

Geneva likes this.
  11. Geneva

Geneva Supporting Member

Thanks, Anh! Did you ever get a competition frag? Did you see your digitata in the picture? I call it Bullwinkle!

12. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

Montis are generally fast growing but not aggressive in terms of stinging or throwing up there guts onto other corals etc...they almost always lose, but regret quickly!

Nav likes this.
  13. neuro

neuro Webmaster

WARNING!

I put my frag under high flow for a few days, and it started bleaching from the same side. It is now unrecoverable.

14. jonmos75

jonmos75 Guest

That is what happened to mine the WAV pump bleached the coral and when I moved it it never recovered....:(

neuro likes this.
  15. wpeterson

wpeterson Webmaster

Ugh, sorry to hear that guys. Thanks for posting your experience.

Geneva likes this.
  16. wpeterson

wpeterson Webmaster

I just trimmed the green monti who was growing horizontally too close to my acropora for this grow out. Looking good still and happier with the increased flow in our tank, but probably because this frag is below/sheltered from the direct flow from the MP40s.

17. jonmos75

jonmos75 Guest

Mine was doing good with the mp40 and wasn't in the direct current flow path.... The WAVs move more current and in a more direct flow then the wider current flow pattern that the mp40 has...

Don't get me wrong... I love my WAVs just had to direct the flow differently then the mp40

Jon

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
  18. Geneva

Geneva Supporting Member

Ditto - never realized high flow could be so bad for our babies.....thanks for sharing.

19. jonmos75

jonmos75 Guest

That is what I thought also...I know LPS don't like a lot of flow, but always thought there was never enough flow for SPS...well I was wrong....but it is now a lesson learned

20. Enderturtle

Enderturtle Volunteer

Direct undiminished flow is bad for any coral and will damage their flash.

But youre right acros generally benefit from higher flow to allow water movement between their polyps. As with everything there can be too much of a good thing.

Flow facilitates waste movement away from the coral and nutrient capture by the little polyps.

In other words it helps them poop and eat! Lol

Geneva, neuro and jonmos75 like this.