California Reef Co. SPS Grow Out Competition - TRACKING

Discussion in 'California Reef Company' started by California_Reef_Co, Apr 17, 2015.

1. neuro

neuro Webmaster

Thinking back, i really wish you posted about this before I made the same mistake!! arrrrr

2. jonmos75

jonmos75 Guest

Mark,

I did on posts #114 & #118, but wasn't positive until you posted your findings

3. neuro

neuro Webmaster

ack looking back at your posts, i don't even know if I would have recognized the issue either. no one to blame but myself!

4. yellojello

yellojello Supporting Member

Yea, that digitata was the fastest growing in my tank. So big I didn't even know branches were falling off lol.

My CRC frag is still doing ok, and is slowly encrusting the plug still. I've got it under 250W Radium which are a year old, but I have new bulbs to swap in. Thinking of getting LuxCore ballasts to overdrive them, but probably just do a bulb swap first.

Enderturtle likes this.
  5. yellojello

yellojello Supporting Member

I wonder if this thing likes LED's. WP running Kessils, Geneva running AI's. Your frags are doing great!

6. jonmos75

jonmos75 Guest

I was running under Kessil lighting, but my lights run brighter then Winfield's I believe

7. wpeterson

wpeterson Webmaster

In my experience, as long as you have proper reef capable lighting (proper spectrum), the light acclimation is more important than the type of lighting.

Those metal halides should be fine for this coral if you have luck growing other SPS with them. However, the switch from the lighting the frags were grown under to your lighting could be traumatic and you should do a slow light acclimation over a week or two. You've probably already done that or passed that point by now.

jonmos75 likes this.
  8. Geneva

Geneva Supporting Member

November pics - still alive!
    20151101_141457.jpg 20151101_141520.jpg

9. wpeterson

wpeterson Webmaster

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
    Geneva likes this.
  10. wpeterson

wpeterson Webmaster

Ours is still doing well:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Enderturtle

Enderturtle Volunteer

Cool guys!

Winfields looks more green?

12. Geneva

Geneva Supporting Member

December picture!

Attached Files:

13. wpeterson

wpeterson Webmaster

December for me, still doing OK but with less PE due to Flame Angel:

[​IMG]

14. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

Maybe I missed it but when is the contest over? That growth looks great though.

15. Geneva

Geneva Supporting Member

"grow out will end 5/9/16" or until there is no one left!

16. Geneva

Geneva Supporting Member

January 2016 pics - @wpeterson - don't forget!!!

Attached Files:

17. wpeterson

wpeterson Webmaster

I'm out of town until 1/10, so it looks like that's the end of the grow out for me. I'll post a picture in a week when I get back.

18. jonmos75

jonmos75 Guest

Bummer Winfield...

Do you have a vidoe camera on the tank that you can take a still picture ....maybe that would count....lol

Geneva likes this.
  19. wpeterson

wpeterson Webmaster

Geneva likes this.
  20. Geneva

Geneva Supporting Member

February shot - really growing now! Will try to take picture with ruler but need to grow another arm first! @wpeterson - don't forget!!
    20160201_145602.jpg