California Reef Co. SPS Grow Out Competition - TRACKING

Discussion in 'California Reef Company' started by California_Reef_Co, Apr 17, 2015.

1. wpeterson

wpeterson Webmaster

Here are a few recent shots:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Still alive, still a little bit sad - being nipped by the flame angel and the green monti cap behind it grew horizontally into the body of the colony. I did some big trimming on the green monti and hacked out some space, but lost some skeleton/tissue on the growout colony where the monti grew over it.

This coral is in the middle of the tank vertically, but on the front of the rockwork and isn't getting as much flow as it would like - one of my MP40s has been MIA while ecotech replaced the wetside, but hopefully arriving any day now and it'll be getting more flow by this weekend.

Geneva likes this.
  2. Enderturtle

Enderturtle Volunteer

Whoa check out genevas growth. Looks almost doubled!

Geneva likes this.
  3. Geneva

Geneva Supporting Member

March photo - definitely growing now!

20160302_090612.jpg

4. Geneva

Geneva Supporting Member

I'm just curious - are there still frags of this out there but just not posting pictures or not in the competition for whatever reason? It would be interesting to know what percentage of frags actually survived so far!

5. Enderturtle

Enderturtle Volunteer

Mine died when my alkalinity dropped :[

6. POOLSCAPES

POOLSCAPES Guest

Mine also died. I was so busy taken care of my mom. My tank suffered.

7. Geneva

Geneva Supporting Member

@wpeterson - don't forget to post your pic!!!!

8. jonmos75

jonmos75 Guest

Mine died during the WAV beta testing...:(

9. wpeterson

wpeterson Webmaster

I'm going to cede this contest to @Geneva. Congrats!

jonmos75 likes this.
  10. Geneva

Geneva Supporting Member

NO, why?? Is your frag still alive?? My frag is doing well but I'm sad that my bubble coral is fading fast out of the blue - is this hobby frustrating or what?? Thanks!

11. Enderturtle

Enderturtle Volunteer

Pick up your 50$ giftcard anytime Geneva :)

Congrats!

Geneva likes this.
  12. wpeterson

wpeterson Webmaster

My frag is still alive, but yours looks larger healthier. I don't have time to keep posting photos and I've been late for most of my updates in 2016.

Well done, @Geneva! Congrats.

Geneva likes this.
  13. Geneva

Geneva Supporting Member

Thanks, Michael - does your store have any bubble corals in stock now? I am looking to replace mine which is fading away...looking for bright green if possible and I can wait.....

14. Enderturtle

Enderturtle Volunteer

Well it aint my store but ask Anthony or Jon if they have any bubble coral. I think there are some there.

15. Geneva

Geneva Supporting Member

Hi Folks! I just wanted to take an informal survey to find out whether any of these frags are still alive and growing?! Mine is almost 3" long now - very slow growing!

16. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

I didn't read this whole thread but is this contest over? Was there a winner?

17. Geneva

Geneva Supporting Member

I was the winner by default - folks forgot to take pictures or moved away! (I never realized how many frags don't make it once you get something new in your tank - percentages for success seems very low?!)

18. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

Does anyone have a frag of this that I can grow out? Any dbtc of this?

19. Enderturtle

Enderturtle Volunteer

It's a candlelight acropora. Pretty cheap/common australian coral that you can find in most 10$ section at the larger reef stores.

I think mine died :p I wasn't acropora ready at the time.