Reef nutrition

Can a lens be too heavy?

Recently, I have been using my Canon 24-70 2.8L quite often because of its versatile focal range.
The lens is great, but the only drawback is that it is on the heavy side ... it weighs in at 33.6 oz, which is hair over two pounds! By far the heaviest lens I have.

Quite frequently when my camera is not in use, or in my hand, it is slung across my body with the neck strap, and the camera body with lens attached just hangs. I haven't been doing that with the 24-70 mounted because I am afraid it might be too heavy for the camera? Maybe I am not giving the sturdiness of the camera body (40D) sufficient credit? Should this be a concern for me [or, would this worry you, if you were me]? I know the camera mount where the lens comes in contact and locks to the body is strong but, I was just curious for some others feedback.

Then again, I have seen some people with a Canon 70-200 2.8L IS mounted to a camera body slung over their shoulder without any worry at all. And the 70-200 2.8L IS weighs in at 44 oz. (or something like that).

Thoughts always welcome!

Not a problem on the pro bodies, due to the metal in their mounts. On something like the 24-70mm, you should be okay. It's with the 70-200mm IS and heavier lenses that I would take a look at having the lens carry the weight of the body instead. When I hike w/300mm lens or longer, I carry the lens on the tripod/monopod and then hang the body off that instead. :p

Thanks Eric, you're always super helpful!

I can't say I have a pro body, but I I believe my 40D does have a metal mount? It's definitely not plastic, unless we're talking about different things?
canon_eos_40d_lens_mount.jpg

You're fine with that for the 24-70mm and also the 70-200mm f/2.8 IS (just don't push down on it :p ). That's a metal mount body there, which is sturdy as heck.

I have the Nikon 28-70mm 2.8 with the internal focusing. Its definitely not light as you stated, but after shooting it a couple of times, I have got used to the weight and have become very comfortable with it.

Its a sweet lens Anthony. I basically got the 28-70mm because its completely internal focusing. The 24-70 extends out when it focuses and I got an awesome deal through B&H so I couldnt pass it up.

I was thinking of using it on a video shoot of the tank this weekend if I can get the time :)

I guess I must be a dork because I can't stand the weight of the lens plus cam. body. So I just hold the lens as I am walking so it's no quite so heavy just hanging off my neck.

Back