Neptune Aquatics

Can I repair a cracked acrylic tank?

I was drilling a hole for the overflow and was impatient. I pushed too hard instead of letting the hole saw do the work and crack the back of my acrylic tank. It's about a 11 inch crack 4-5 inches down from the top on the back side.

Can I repair this by using weld on and a large piece of acrylic that covers the crack or am I at risk for a failure in the future?

I'm leaning towards buying a new tank for peace of mind. Just really frustrated as this was the last step in my new tank build after building a stand and hood, as well as gathering all the equipment for it.

Thanks in advance for the opinions.

:) thanks. I redrilled in another location. I'm going to try to work some weld on into the crack and let it set and then patch the whole area in the back with weld on and another piece of acrylic. Luckily I hadn't drilled through yet.

I would do it in two steps, first try to drip some of the more liquid based stuff (Weldon 3 or 4) a good chance it will wick into the crack and actually fuse the crack shut (or at least part of it), then for piece of mind slap on a "bandaid" piece using thicker stuff (Weldon 16). It should be fine.

Thanks. Exactly what I did. The crack felt fused at least half way through (#4) after it set and I just slapped a big piece over it all. I didn't think to get the thicker weld on for the extra piece and ended up squeezing a ton of #4 over both surfaces to get them to fuse.

Back