Cali Kid Corals

Can you overfeed frags?

I don't know about cooking rocks, but I believe the vodka dosing is to help the beneficial bacteria consume nitrates or something like that, which in turn helps reduce algae.

I WAS dosing vodka, then I went on vacation and forgot to continue dosing it. Very small amounts in my 58g+20g, like 1.5 ml per night.

I do think that my skimmer really went to work once I started, so looks like it's pulling out a whole lot more than before the vodka ... unless it's just skimming out the vodka!

I used the cheapest vodka I could find... lik $6 at Longs Drugstore. In fact it was "Longs Drugtore" BRAND vodka. I feel sorry for whoever sits around drinking drugstore vodka, but I guess for mixed drinks and frat houses, it's a steal! I still have $5.98 worth of that vodka! I mean, it's a 750 ml bottle and I used it for a few weeks!

I think the vodka is worth trying. I may start it up again, thought I just put a CA Rx on the tank and don't want to make more changes for at least a few weeks. It's a bit tedious dosing every night!

V

What's funny with my situation is hair algae is only growing on a rock and a few frag disks from an order I made from vividaquariums.com a few months back...

sounds like PO4 is bound up in the rock and other objects like the frag plugs (if they are cement/aragonite). If the frag plugs used any aragonite, you can lump them in with my earlier comment re: PO4 being bound up in them.

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=6054.msg78875#msg78875 date=1233939228]
cement discs?
[/quote]

feels like cement ... I got them at OTA

cool topic.

i feed approx one cube of rinsed hiraki mysis, one cube of rinsed h20 rotifers, and about a cube size of rod's food everyday. i got a ATB small cone on a 40g breeder running 6 hours of light a day. i dose a small amount of vodka daily (about 0.8 ml).

i don't have any algae issues except the film algae is creeping a little more these days.

Back