got ethical husbandry?

canopy mold...yay :-[

So I totally forgot to full paint the inside of my canopy as I usually do since I was using SLR reflectors on T5's and didn't think much of any light would actually hit the top of my canopy. Now there's some mold growing. Any chance of killing it (bleach solution in a spray bottle?) and then painting/sealing the wood and reusing it? This is one of the first times I've actually sprung for some decent wood (oak, not pine as usual) and I'd prefer to not have to junk it.

Also, for some reason on this build I decided to only use glue on my joints (vs glue + screws/nails) and at a few of the seams the wood is slightly warped away from its adjoining piece. Any thoughts? What does everyone else use on their builds?

High PH will kill it. You could take the clear water after kalk settles and use it, then wash it off with RODI so it doesn't leave stains.

When joining wood I either use pocket holes, finish nails or biscuits. I paint every surface after doing all the drilling and construction then I use EPDM between the canopy and the tank.

Just to confirm, aside from high pH, using bleach would work as well, right? (I already have a solution in a spray bottle).

Also, as I don't have my air compressor any more, and don't have the knowledge and/or equip for biscuit jointing, you just do standard pocket screws into a corner block? Or straight into the edge of the board?

And as for the EPDM, you put it on the part of the canopy that rests on the tank rim? (I'm assuming you use a liquid form). Any local sources for small amounts of it?

I pocket hole my ply or real wood board to board, no corner block. Most seem to do it this way when building stands & canopies.

EPDM sheet from McMcaster Carr or Osh. You got the placement correct :)

Oh, bleach will work, as will Oxyclean and even hydrogen peroxide (commercial grade though)

EPDM sheet, eh? Self-adhesive or applied with woodglue, super glue, hot glue :p Guess I'll swing by OSH on my way home and see what's available.

When finishing the inside of my canopy (Red Oak) I hit it with about 5 layers of spray on poly gloss... The second one I've done like that and it works great. No mold or stains IME.

[quote author=phishphood link=topic=6417.msg82329#msg82329 date=1234986851]
EPDM sheet, eh? Self-adhesive or applied with woodglue, super glue, hot glue :p Guess I'll swing by OSH on my way home and see what's available.
[/quote]

A couple times I just used plain sheet and set it the canopy down on it. I now use something from work called Nitroprene that has a sticky back. Randy, my boss, does it as a side business but we don't have anymore samples left :(

Yeah, that's pretty much my plan after I wipe the mold clean, post bleaching. Except it'll either be white, or gloss, whichever is cheaper :D

Guess I'll just "make it work" w/ the EPDM sheet.

Thanks everybody.

I just made spacers when I used the sheet and filled the gaps in afterwords with silicone. I actually place a bead around the entire rim as then it helps hold any stray water from slipping down the tank into the stand :)

I try to use gloss inside my canopy now. I used to use flat/matte as both are supposed to be better at light reflection but they both get mold fairly easily :(

You can buy Nitroprene at white cap (contractors building supplies) it's in the waterproofing section or by the windows and doors

Maybe another brand or product but I know for a fact they don't sell to Whitecap as I myself suggested they contact Whitecap just last month :)

http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories/3080/Nitroprene-Insulation

That is the stuff minus the backing. They can have any backing put on that stuff. I also use it to isolate pump vibration (as a pad under pumps) and if I ever get around to it all my water pipes will be wrapped in it as well.

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=6417.msg82413#msg82413 date=1234996985]
Maybe another brand or product but I know for a fact they don't sell to Whitecap as I myself suggested they contact Whitecap just last month :)

http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories/3080/Nitroprene-Insulation

That is the stuff minus the backing. They can have any backing put on that stuff. I also use it to isolate pump vibration (as a pad under pumps) and if I ever get around to it all my water pipes will be wrapped in it as well.
[/quote]

they must have stopped selling it then as I bought Nitroprene at the one in SF last year when I was working on one of our projects if SOMA district

I'm telling you it's a different brand/product. I know who they sell to and who they have since they started as the US importer a few years back ;) Prior to that no one was importing it into the US. trust me, I know what I am talking about. Nitroprene isn't used for construction really. The largest use has been for aquaculture and aerospace.

Nitroprene and Neoprene are similar in function and look but Nitroprene is a better more stable product (little UV damage). If the wetsuit industry wasn't all ready so committed to neoprene they'd hope right on this stuff. I think I am going to have a free diving suit made out of it by an outfit down in SB.

Back