Carbon and phosphate media how often u change?

Discussion in 'Other Reef Talk' started by xinumaster, Jun 3, 2008.

1. xinumaster

xinumaster Guest

How often do you replace carbon and phosphate media? Can you specific which type of media you use (seachem matrix carbon, phosban, phosguard, rwaphos, ... etc.)?

2. Ibn

Ibn Supporting Member

Once a month; carbon (activated lignite) and phosphate media (granular size) from bulkreefsupply.

3. xinumaster

xinumaster Guest

You change phosphate media once a month too? I thought they can last longer than that?

4. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

Both depend on you PO4 and DOC load. They could be used up in a day if high enough, or last a year if low enough. You can't tell what your demand is going to be off of some one else's tank, you just can't.

5. Ibn

Ibn Supporting Member

I mix the two together so if the carbon goes, the gfo has to go as well.

6. xinumaster

xinumaster Guest

I see. Are you using a phosban reactor? If so, will adding carbon into the reactor one a month works, too?

7. saltwatersig

saltwatersig Volunteer

i change my carbon 1 a week (i only use 3 table spoons each time) as for as rowa phos appx every 3 months.

8. Raddogz

Raddogz Guest

I try to change out the carbon every three weeks but it winds up being closer to every five weeks.

When I ran phosphate removers I would change out closer to five weeks

9. Ibn

Ibn Supporting Member

Running mine in a DIY reactor, which sits in the sump. I couldn't build two chambers in it, due to the height of the sump so I went w/one and stuck both in.

10. seminolecpa

seminolecpa Past President

I mix em together too. Probably change every 2nd water change so about every 3-4 weeks.

11. tuberider

tuberider Guest

Phosban every month, I run Black Diamond carbon passively in my sump and change it about once a month too.

I feed a lot so I use a little more than the gram per gallon on the gfo, more like 1.5g per gal.

Gresham's right on though, it all depends on the system.

12. xinumaster

xinumaster Guest

I change my rwaphos every 3mos cause verytime I messured my phosphate it always read 0ppm. Carbon I alway change it once a month.

13. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

I change my carbon twice a month :)

14. Gomer

Gomer Honorary Member

GFO, carbon? I guess I need them to change them :p

15. MrManz1691

MrManz1691 Guest

I never thought of mixing them. Its ok to open the bag of chemipure and mix it with the phosban that I use in my reactor?

16. kinetic

kinetic Webmaster

I mix some black diamond carbon with TLF phosphate media in a TLF phosphate reactor, changing it out once a month. I put the carbon on the bottom half, and gfo on the top half (to keep it from being 'pulverized')

17. xinumaster

xinumaster Guest

Welcome back, Art.

18. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

I wouldn't. The stuff in Chemipure is a fairly small particle size.

19. MrManz1691

MrManz1691 Guest

Do you think that chemipur is worth it or do u recomend a different brand of charcoal

20. iani

iani Guest

I just use bulkreefsupply carbon and gfo. I do the opposite of Art and put gfo on the botton and carbon on the top in a phosban reactor.