Jestersix

Carbon and phosphate media how often u change?

How often do you replace carbon and phosphate media? Can you specific which type of media you use (seachem matrix carbon, phosban, phosguard, rwaphos, ... etc.)?

Both depend on you PO4 and DOC load. They could be used up in a day if high enough, or last a year if low enough. You can't tell what your demand is going to be off of some one else's tank, you just can't.

I try to change out the carbon every three weeks but it winds up being closer to every five weeks.

When I ran phosphate removers I would change out closer to five weeks

Running mine in a DIY reactor, which sits in the sump. I couldn't build two chambers in it, due to the height of the sump so I went w/one and stuck both in.

Phosban every month, I run Black Diamond carbon passively in my sump and change it about once a month too.

I feed a lot so I use a little more than the gram per gallon on the gfo, more like 1.5g per gal.

Gresham's right on though, it all depends on the system.

I mix some black diamond carbon with TLF phosphate media in a TLF phosphate reactor, changing it out once a month. I put the carbon on the bottom half, and gfo on the top half (to keep it from being 'pulverized')

I wouldn't. The stuff in Chemipure is a fairly small particle size.

I just use bulkreefsupply carbon and gfo. I do the opposite of Art and put gfo on the botton and carbon on the top in a phosban reactor.

Back