High Tide Aquatics

Carbon and phosphate media how often u change?

I'm talking leeching though, not exhausted :D Let me get some help from RHF, Boomer and Bob (ESV). All three are well versed in this area.

[quote author=Gomer link=topic=3827.msg46236#msg46236 date=1213804811]
If you have nothing else to soak up junk yet you are adding more junk into the tank, the levels of junk increases and you have this "OMG, my carbon is leaching!" when really you have "OMG, the trash cans are full but I am keep trying to put more and more trash in them"
[/quote]
Much better example of what I was trying to say! ;)

-Justin

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=3827.msg46233#msg46233 date=1213803673]
Now wait, did I say MASSIVE influx? You can debate what I say, but you can't put words in my mouth AND debate me :D[/quote]

Nope, you didn't :D

My point is that if it's just an equilibrium situation with good quality water, you're not gonna get massive outflux of adsorbed junk, so it's not a big deal.

And the only way to leach large quantities would be to have the carbon equilibrate in cruddy water, then get it into decent water.

That could happen if someone doesn't keep up with water and carbon changes, then does a big water change without changing carbon.

Even then, the concentration of DOC shouldn't be any worse than before the water change.

;D I wish I could say I was, unfortunately my intelligence does not peak in that plane of consciousness ;)
I think my geekery naturally gravitates towards other geeks allowing me to inconspicuously blend in though :D

Boomer helped me confidently chose the carbon I chose for the GB I did a year or two ago though. Good guy and great resource, the knowledge is DEEP in that forum! Still have a gallon of it left!! :eek:

-Justin

Where do you get yours Gresh?

cant remember the exact link, I could find it but mine was something along the lines of activatedcarboncorp.com I think(again may be bad link but something along those lines, down in So.Cal)

-Justin

Sorry norm, I don't really do anything organic. You bring the balance, and I'll bring the lasers.

I picked up the ROX 0.8 from bulk reef. I think the 0.8 refers to the pellet cylinder diameter being 0.8mm.

mines lab grade ;)

I asked Boomer, Randy and a bunch of other well qualified people to weigh in on this in a private forum. Thus far one of them reminded me carbon not only can leech stuff out, it breaks down as well.

"Lab grade" is relative :p This coming from someone who has been in a research lab for the past 7 years..

However, toss at me impurity #'s and BET surface area and then I may start salivating.

[quote author=Gomer link=topic=3827.msg46314#msg46314 date=1213822566]
"Lab grade" is relative :p This coming from someone who has been in a research lab for the past 7 years..

However, toss at me impurity #'s and BET surface area and then I may start salivating.
[/quote]

Dunno the data. A person with a PHD in water Chem actually made the puechase :D

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=3827.msg46310#msg46310 date=1213822163]
mines lab grade ;)
[/quote]

No, I asked where you get it :)

-Justin

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=3827.msg46322#msg46322 date=1213823739]
Dunno the data. A person with a PHD in water Chem actually made the puechase :D
[/quote]

Oh geez ::) More fluff please ;D

-Justin

[quote author=Justin74 link=topic=3827.msg46326#msg46326 date=1213824013]
[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=3827.msg46310#msg46310 date=1213822163]
mines lab grade ;)
[/quote]

No, I asked where you get it :)

-Justin
[/quote]

You're comment on not trusting PHD's came from reading a post where I said I dunno, I didn't make the purchase :D

Back