Carbon dosing: Anyone switched from vodka to vinegar dosing before?

Discussion in 'Reef Chemistry' started by blacktangs, Feb 21, 2016.

1. blacktangs

blacktangs Guest

Ive dosed vodka for years with good results, nitrates 0-5ppm, i did get cyano but was removed with my gfo reactor.
    Im curious, has anyone switched to vinegar with same results or better?
    Im planning to dose vinegar thru a doser since vodka would evaporate to fast.
    Would the vinegar lower my alk too fast?
    I understand i would be dosing a lot more vinegar than vodka.

12.5 ml vodka daily. Heavy bioload
    120 mixed reef, 440 cal, 7.7 alk, 1410 mag, 5 no3, 0.00 phos.

2. Vhuang168

Vhuang168 Supporting Member

I'm actually dosing with DIY NoPOx which is a vinegar/vodka mix. The inital recipe had RODI in it but there have been reports of bacteria growing if stored too long (eg in a dosing container) so now the recipe is straight vinegar/vodka. That prevents any bacteria from growing.

3. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

Do you use kalkwasser in your tank at all? Combining the vinegar with that could be quite advantageous.

Don't think vinegar lowers alk, unless you mean as a potential side effect of your pH being lowered, and either way just see how much of a drop you'll get from whatever volume of vinegar you plan on dosing.

4. blacktangs

blacktangs Guest

I kalk once in a while but not often enough to plan it daily. But yeah, ill just transition it slowly and keep testing/monitoring when i start.
    Ill have to look up that vinegar/vodka mix carbon dose method. Sounds interesting.

Thanks you guys for the advice!

5. HiFidelity

HiFidelity Guest

I was dosing both Vodka & Vinegar at one point, when I added GFO I stopped dosing Vodka primarily because I had no nitrate issues at the time (undetectable) but I did have PO4 issues so I found little use for all the carbon I was dosing. I still dose vinegar but it's mixed with my kalkwasser.