Jestersix

Carpet anemone advice requested...

I'm considering purchasing a 10" red carpet anemone for my 80 gallon kitchen tank. It will have minimal fish, maybe a couple clowns and a single large sand goby (current resident). 2x250 watt phoenix halides + 2 T5s (Maristar fixture).

It's sparsely stocked and I would be dedicating nearly 1/3 of the tank just for the anemone. It has a shallow sand bed, but I might add more sand as I understand the carpets like a deeper sand bed.

I know carpets can be tough... I'm currently in a dialogue with the vendor as to how long he's had it, condition, gigantea vs. haddoni, etc.

Does anyone have experience keeping carpets? Anything I should be particularly concerned about regarding their care, etc? I've been doing my research, but if someone in the club has direct experience, I'd love to hear about it before I make the purchase.

Thanks...

Your lighting should be no problem. I have mine under 150's and general wisdom is that they will be fine.

The biggest worry is compromise during shipping. If they come in bad, they don't make it.

The other thing, of course, is species. Haddoni and gigantea have very different needs and come from different environments. For instance, haddoni like to bury in the sand and expand up and out at night where they can get blown around and sucked into water moving devices. Gigantea tend to stay put and attach to rock.

Haddoni hosts A. akindynos, A. chrysogaster, A. chrysopterus, A. clarkii, A. polymnus, A. sebae, while gigantea hosts A. akindynos, A. bicinctus, A. clarkii, A. ocellaris, A. percula, A. perideraion, A. rubrocinctus.

I have both at home, and much prefer the gigantea - the fish that host are locally available as captive bred animals and since the gigantea 'blankets' more than the haddoni, its more fun to watch the clowns swim around in it. However, either both are really interesting animals.

The haddoni is prolly going to work next month to get a commensal crab. :D

Thanks Rich, that's super helpful.

The vendor is pretty well regarded and he wouldn't be shipping it for awhile, so hopefully it would have a good chance of success. That and he has a 100% guarantee so I should be pretty covered.

Sounds like I would prefer a Gigantea as well. I'd like to be able to host captive bred percs in mine. I'm going to think about it some more first, he's not quite sure if it's a Haddoni or a Gigantea, but he says he thinks its a Haddoni. Hmmmm.

BTW, I have an anemone crab that lives in my BTAs. Those guys are the best. :)

Rich, PM sent.

Gresh, I may have ID'd this wrong, but this was sold to me as a porcelain crab. (Pictured directly below my clown.)

740431188_7Uhki-L.jpg

That's exactly what it is :) YOu just throw me with the anemone crab part :) I haven't heard it called that or rather I probably forgot that one :lol:

I love those guys.

Back