got ethical husbandry?

CDA 87G

Not sure what happened to the pics earlier which were on my Google account.

I reuploaded them to my server instead. They should be visible now.

Really digging that stand, getting me inspired to build mine out of 8020 (or equivalent) for my 200, and I really like the idea of hingeless doors using magnets to hold the panels on. How are the magnets attached to the stand since magnets don't attach to either aluminum or stainless (I see them attached at 4 corners on one of the pics, glued to the stand? or some other fastener put it just to hold the magnet? Also what is the thickness of the material you went with?

The magnets are attached using clear JB weld epoxy. The magnets are pretty strong so make sure that you use the right kind. John used the 2k psi rated epoxy and so far 4 of them have come off (they're being pulled off the 8020 from the panel side). I'm in the process of redoing them using the 4k psi rated epoxy. The panels are 1/2" thick Brazilian cherry IIRC.

@ashburn2k Thanks for the recommendation! I don't want to mar the 8020, which those magnets would do since they would need to be screwed into the frame. I just need to get the magnets back on the 8020 and wait for it to cure and bond completely. I also have 8 extra magnets (4 sets) that I have around.

You could swap out the screws that those magnets ashburn recommended have with those slip in 8020 connectors/bolts. Or depending upon if you could possible jam a piece of steel through that gussetted bracket so the magnet on your door can grab onto... or... just wait to see if your epoxy fix works :D

I'll wait for now. The epoxy fix works if I leave it alone for a full cure. I've reattached one of them on the left side panel already and it's holding on. :p

FTS for Day 1 of operation.
2018_04_02_fts.jpg

I've been gravitating towards less and less rock and more open space - more negative space, less dead areas for circulation, and more room for fish to swim around. It also limits me on the corals that I truly want to grow out versus collectoritis syndrome.

The black is actually the silicone. Each corner has a triangle (possibly polycarbonate) for support from what I can tell and then the black silicone.
2018_04_02_corner_brace.JPG

The recurve seems to be a decent fixture from what I can tell. Everything feels sturdy and well built. It's putting out a ton of light, but I don't have the controller on hand currently and haven't messed around with the onboard. It's was on at 100% on all channels in the picture. I need to connect with Vincent to borrow his PMK kit to pull some measurements (currently setting all channels at 50% in the meantime).

@lbn try this, I used those for my door. CMS Magnetics Neodymium Round Base Magnet w/Countersunk Hole for#10 Bolt - 88 LBS PULL 1.26" in Dia 2 Ct. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008H40U10/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_2SLWAbVJPK1S5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I had thought of using those and drilling and taping the 8020 to put a screw into it but I thought the epoxy would be sufficient. Those magnets are super strong though so it may still come to needing a fastener with it. Really it doesn’t need to be a magnet since there’s one in the door side. It could be any piece of ferris metal.

Ah, ha the mystery stand maker! :D

BTW that tank looks super sweet, and as long as you don't have too many fish a minimal rock approach absolutely can work well too.

Yeah the epoxy route is great... if you can get it to hold.

I meant thickness of the 8020 material.

Missed the second question. I went with 1.5" 8020 for the stand. It's really sturdy. You could step it up to something thicker for 200G or just add more vertical supports. I've seen pics of 8020 using 1.5" 8020 that holds 200G+ tanks up.

Back