Neptune Aquatics

Cement to glue rock

I usually pick up the epoxy from my LFS or Marine Depot if they are out. It's the same price shipped from MD as it is at my LFS.

yeah tank rock...
epoxy doesn't work too well for me for some reason. I think I'm not using it right or something. :-[ ..

I used to have a lot of IC gel but sold/gave away when I shutdown my tank. Do you think it's strong enough for gluing rock together?

At the frag swap, someone (Bryan or Jeremey?) said they used it all the time to hold rocks together. If you get a rock semi dry (pat down the surfaces with a cloth) and use enough glue to "anchor" in the pores, then I see no reason why it wouldn't work.

Mix the epoxy well they put it in place squeezed between the rocks and hold it for a minute till it sets up. If the epoxy didn't hold once it set's up use it as a custom brace by glueing it with IC gel to the 2 rocks. That way it fits tight and the gel works well if you put some on both surfaces.

I used apoxie when I set up my tank.
http://www.avesstudio.com/Products/Apoxie_Sculpt/apoxie_sculpt.html

Gorrilla glue..sprinkly some sand on it and it looks just like live rock. Without sand the exposed glue looks a lil tinted yellow, but colors up quick as the rock matures inthe tank.

Pssh you all missed th boat. He asked for something to cement his rocks ;)

Hydrolic Cement is what I use. HD has it as well as OSH. I forget what brand is sold where, but most hydrolic cements will work :)

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=3297.msg37231#msg37231 date=1205256304]
Pssh you all missed th boat. He asked for something to cement his rocks ;)

Hydrolic Cement is what I use. HD has it as well as OSH. I forget what brand is sold where, but most hydrolic cements will work :)[/quote]
Sounds toxic :)

But no one has offered to help him out either. Come on I know someone in his neck of the woods can swing by.

Sounds toxic? OK, explain yourself? Now address the issue of many MAJOR installs like public aquariums and such using this? Do you even know what it is and how it works?

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=3297.msg37257#msg37257 date=1205263956]
Sounds toxic? OK, explain yourself? Now address the issue of many MAJOR installs like public aquariums and such using this? Do you even know what it is and how it works?[/quote]

Hold up for a minute. I was saying "Hydrolic Cement" sounds toxic. If you weren't recommending it I wouldn't have even thought it would be reef safe just from the name alone. From what little I know about you it appears your career is centered around this hobby and I just started getting into it a year ago so I'd be the last one to correct you or tell you that you were wrong. I was merely saying that it (being Hydrolic Cement) "Sounds" toxic, not is, not Gresham doesn't know what he's taking about or anything like that. You come off as a nice guy who knows his stuff and I'm sorry I didn't state my comment clearer. I meant no disrespect so I'm sorry if that's the way it sounded.

Come on Rich, we need some hugging smileys ;D

:D

I'm in your neck of the woods. Let me know if you need some help with it. Don't have all that much IC Gel (one stick), but if you want to try some apoxy let me know. I have about a palm's full of that stuff in natural color.

I think Aquamend is what a lot of people uses, which is available from HD.

I know regular cement will cause PH to go up until it its fully cured which can take up to 2-3 months. Does 'hydrolic' cement behave any different?

[quote author=LeviTillie link=topic=3297.msg37265#msg37265 date=1205266119]
[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=3297.msg37257#msg37257 date=1205263956]
Sounds toxic? OK, explain yourself? Now address the issue of many MAJOR installs like public aquariums and such using this? Do you even know what it is and how it works?[/quote]

Hold up for a minute. I was saying "Hydrolic Cement" sounds toxic.
[/quote]

Hydrolic cement is more inert then pretty much all cements (waterproof at that). It's used in wells and such and is even rated for use in wells which people drink from. No need to water cure it although some do air cure it for a week. Sets underwater. No PH shift, no expelling of lime, etc. It's similiar if not the same (product dependant) to Thorite which most public aquariums use. Hydrolic cement is widely used by high end custom installs which require major reef back or large piles of rock. My current set-up utilizes it to make tall pillars. IIRC Thorite is even used in the dental field (remember that clay junk your orthodontist put in your mouth to make a mold?)

Yeah that was the one I was looking for. I think you said it's in a yellow bucket or something like that but OSH or HD didn't have.

Thanks for the offer Eric!.. I know I have a tube somewhere. I bought a lot. I always picked up 2-4 each meeting and I went to at least 5-7 meeting.

I was not aware hydrolic cement was a standard item that OSH/HD carried, definitely going to have to look into it for future tanks as I've seen so many aquascapes that have used maybe pieces of rock in a very unbalanced way that glue nor epoxy could hold long.

if its in a yellow bucket its made by quikrete
2327545625_6c5b36e1d7_b.jpg
. HD has it they just dont know it . so does OSH but they dont know it ether . at HD it is usually in the masonry section . most home improvement stores carry it for repair of cracked/leaking basement walls . it does tend to "pop" kinda quick so i use it in small batches .

hope that helps

^^^ that's it and he's right, it sets fast. I did like 20 batches to do all my rocks. One batch per connection or sometimes even just one side.

Back