Kessil

center brace needed for this tank?

been contemplating this tank for a while now.. 36"x30"x20", 5" eurobrace on top, 1/2" thick acrylic. i'm afraid it will eventually bow in the center from the water pressure.. what are your expert opinions/advice on this.

i wanted to have a bigger footprint so i could grow some seagrass on the sandbed

Sounds like a cool project. I'm guessing you are building the tank yourself? A 5 inch brace sounds like plenty but I've never built a tank so that's just testosterone speaking :)

Obviously height is the major factor here, if the top is 1" acrylic I'd imagine it would be OK. My tank is 36"X18"X17" all 3/8ths with a 4" eurobrace made of 3/4" and there is no bowing whatsoever (I hate bowing). Talk to Gen at Kritter tanks, he's very knowledgeable.

Making a larger eurobrace doesn't help in all cases. In this case it wouldn't from what manufacturers have told me. 5/8-3/4 for the build and 3/4 top should be suffice, but by no means take what I am saying as the given truth :)

oh i'm not building it myself.. :p i wasn't sure where to put this topic that's why its here. i msg'd james from envision acrylics and he says that it would be good at 1/2" all around 3+" eurobrace on top.

You might want to look at others 1/2" panes that are 30" tall x 36 wide. Over time I've seen them bow beyond what I find pleasing :)

Oopps, yah, that's how the order goes :) 20" is nothing. 1/2" should be fine for years :)

Back