Kessil

Chaeto and fuge lights

I use a screw in LED light (a tubular LED that screws into normal light socket) and maybe that's part of my problem as I have chaeto that appears to be alive, but is by no means growing into a giant ball, despite my sky high nitrates.

Thanks, maybe time to swap lights.

V

I have a $25 eBay grow panel (~12x12") that draws about 20W. Before I added bio-pellets, it roughly doubled my chaeto size every week.

Kessil H350!
Bought mine from neptune.
I think they are selling for $200
I almost got that one but spending another $200 or more was not ideal. I ended up getting the same light as @Vhuang168. It seems to be doing the job. Chaeto is growing and nutrients are super low and for almost 1/3 the price as the kessil.

I just grow mine in a reactor.
851efeb6734a0bc8fda144fdfccfd618.jpg

15 buck light. This is 10 days of lighting from a tennis ball

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$15 for the light but how much for the reactor and plumbing. Does it have its own pump or does it run off the return manifold?

I do like this set up though.

I use a 12W Home Depot Daylight LED that was about $12 and it works fine for me. I get a lot of growth.
This is half of what I get in a few weeks. BTW, flow is also very important. I have my sump split into two sections,a high flow section for the Chaeto and a low flow section for the skimmer. A lot of places recommend a low flow refugium, but I have a super high flow one with all of the Chaeto. It is oversized so the flow spans out and I still get lots of critter growth.
Chaetomorpha.jpeg

Wow - that is a lot of chaeto! This thread has me ready to pay more attention to my fuge. I realized I do not remove any often, which kinda nullies using it for nutrient export and I think we may feed a lot.
My fuge has really low flow. Always surprised how low when I look in. Water just flows in from one of the drains in the overflow. I wonder if i were to direct it with some tubing and a nozzle if it would make better flow across it.

ef4bc12cc61ea9a39829cce9d1c9d6bb.jpg

1bfbb9974cd98216b84826804571c37b.jpg

Not sure what happen but before I went to tokyo the reactor was looking dirty. Then when I came back it's looking clean as ever. No idea what happen here as I didn't clean it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Anyone know where I might be able to pick up a flexible gooseneck mount with socket for a par38 bulb....About 15" long that I can mount to the inside of my cabinet?

Back