Chaeto and fuge lights

Discussion in 'Other Reef Talk' started by Vhuang168, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Vhuang168

Vhuang168 Supporting Member

Chromis likes this.
  2. roostertech

roostertech reef noob

Yep my 25$ light panel has been doing good at keeping nutrient low.

3. Vincerama2

Vincerama2 Evil Overlord

I use a screw in LED light (a tubular LED that screws into normal light socket) and maybe that's part of my problem as I have chaeto that appears to be alive, but is by no means growing into a giant ball, despite my sky high nitrates.

Thanks, maybe time to swap lights.

V

4. Vhuang168

I have a 300w (it's really only drawing 170w or so) 60 led grow light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. RandyC

RandyC Guest

I have a $25 eBay grow panel (~12x12") that draws about 20W. Before I added bio-pellets, it roughly doubled my chaeto size every week.

6. iCon

iCon Supporting Member

Any links to what you guys are specifically using? Been looking at swapping out my current par bulb

7. Vhuang168

iCon likes this.
  8. RandyC

RandyC Guest

9. Tmjvb

Tmjvb Supporting Member

Kessil H350!
    Bought mine from neptune.
    I think they are selling for $200

10. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

I almost got that one but spending another $200 or more was not ideal. I ended up getting the same light as @Vhuang168. It seems to be doing the job. Chaeto is growing and nutrients are super low and for almost 1/3 the price as the kessil.

11. scuzy

scuzy Supporting Member

I just grow mine in a reactor.
    [​IMG]

15 buck light. This is 10 days of lighting from a tennis ball

Chromis and tankguy like this.
  12. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

$15 for the light but how much for the reactor and plumbing. Does it have its own pump or does it run off the return manifold?

I do like this set up though.

13. scuzy

scuzy Supporting Member

Off the manifold. Plus I had that reactor sitting around :)

14. magnetar68

magnetar68 Supporting Member

I use a 12W Home Depot Daylight LED that was about $12 and it works fine for me. I get a lot of growth.

15. magnetar68

magnetar68 Supporting Member

This is half of what I get in a few weeks. BTW, flow is also very important. I have my sump split into two sections,a high flow section for the Chaeto and a low flow section for the skimmer. A lot of places recommend a low flow refugium, but I have a super high flow one with all of the Chaeto. It is oversized so the flow spans out and I still get lots of critter growth.
    Chaetomorpha.jpeg

16. MolaMola

MolaMola Supporting Member

Wow - that is a lot of chaeto! This thread has me ready to pay more attention to my fuge. I realized I do not remove any often, which kinda nullies using it for nutrient export and I think we may feed a lot.
    My fuge has really low flow. Always surprised how low when I look in. Water just flows in from one of the drains in the overflow. I wonder if i were to direct it with some tubing and a nozzle if it would make better flow across it.

17. scuzy

scuzy Supporting Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not sure what happen but before I went to tokyo the reactor was looking dirty. Then when I came back it's looking clean as ever. No idea what happen here as I didn't clean it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

18. Vincerama2

Vincerama2 Evil Overlord

Speaking of chaeto ... what do you do when you prune it? Rinse the salt off and compost?

Anyone need any starter chaeto?

19. SlickWill613

SlickWill613 Guest

I'll be needing some real soon I hope.

20. Klems

Klems Supporting Member

Anyone know where I might be able to pick up a flexible gooseneck mount with socket for a par38 bulb....About 15" long that I can mount to the inside of my cabinet?