Jestersix

Chalice ID?

Ok,

So this post is going to show my ignorance about corals, even though I’ve been keeping reef tanks for over a decade.

I have a chalice that I moved from my old, neglected tank that was more brown (same lighting).

I thought it had algae on it, but it’s still more green with some purple showing now. The eyes are dark. Is this still alive? There isn’t any of the bleaching or receding I’ve seen with some chalices in the past.

Also, if it is alive, any idea what it might be. I got it so long ago as a frag and now it’s probably 4x6. If it’s worthwhile I’ll try to frag it for the swap. But if I’m an idiot and it’s not really alive, well...

Here it is under white lights no blues:

ddee6971b70bc53ded1250f9949dd316.jpg

Herd to tell from the pic, but it looks like it is dead with algae growing. The purple kind of looks like coraline algae to me.

I see what looks like mouths on the chalice. Do u see a feeding response with tentacles if you gently squirt some food over it? Or maybe tentacles when the lights go off at night?

Ok. Thinking it’s not alive. Thanks all. I think I was just hopeful because there are some odd looking chalices out there. I’ll pull it out for a closer look tonight.

On a positive note, this means there’s room for more corals...

Another way to tell is when you touch it with your bare hand out of water, does your fingers get sticky goo off the coral surface?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back