got ethical husbandry?

Cheap DIY stand for 250lbs

rygh said:
First : Yes, for a 29G tank, it is probably overkill.
But another failure point to consider is when some big 200 pound person
falls on it, after looking at the pretty fish.

I'll take my chances :)

rygh said:
Maybe you want the diagonal braces in the back, not the front. Easier access to sump.

If on the back, you can even put them down near the floor, between legs and bottom board.
Might seem odd, but similar effect. And keeps it open for pipes going up to tank.

If this would have similar structural stability as putting them in the front, then I would prefer the open front. But I was thinking these offered a way for some of the front load to travel to the front two legs in addition to the side to side shear load.

magnetar68 said:
rygh said:
First : Yes, for a 29G tank, it is probably overkill.
But another failure point to consider is when some big 200 pound person
falls on it, after looking at the pretty fish.

I'll take my chances :)

rygh said:
Maybe you want the diagonal braces in the back, not the front. Easier access to sump.

If on the back, you can even put them down near the floor, between legs and bottom board.
Might seem odd, but similar effect. And keeps it open for pipes going up to tank.

If this would have similar structural stability as putting them in the front, then I would prefer the open front. But I was thinking these offered a way for some of the front load to travel to the front two legs in addition to the side to side shear load.

Front/back has the same sheer ability.
In fact, with your drawing, the back is where the load is anyway.

Load distribution kinda works that way, but only if you put back the board at the bottom between the legs.
Otherwise it just spreads the legs.
So again, back is better, because of the full square structure.

All overkill for a 29G tank anyway.

PS: Boun11 has a free stand you might be able to simply cut in half.

What's the best way to join the joints where the top frame meets the stand? Everywhere else one the net I see that the frame goes around the legs, not on top. I also did not see any screw that would be reasonably long enough (4.5"?). The other stand that was shown earlier in this thread has 4 additional legs inside so that the top and bottom frames go around those 4 legs. That seems like complete overkill.

TankStandv3-1.jpg

iani said:
You would probably just want to toe screw it.

I did see that in one place. What size screw for this? 2.5"? I assume on the inside of the frame with 2 screws next to each other? *(i.e., each joint would have 4 screws, 2 for each orthogonal board).

I would only put one on each side. Two on each side would be too many for the 1.5" width of the 2x4. I would probably use a 3-3.5 inch deck screw.

Done. Seems plenty strong. My wife and I got on it and shook it and it was strong in all directions. I left the diagonals off for now. I need to cut off the lip in the front, but my circular saw blade was pretty dull, so I am going to wait until I get a new one.

IMG_4036.jpg

IMG_4037.jpg

Back