Cheap DIY stand for 250lbs

Discussion in 'DIY' started by magnetar68, Sep 5, 2012.

1. magnetar68

magnetar68 Supporting Member

I'll take my chances :)

If this would have similar structural stability as putting them in the front, then I would prefer the open front. But I was thinking these offered a way for some of the front load to travel to the front two legs in addition to the side to side shear load.

2. rygh

rygh Supporting Member

Front/back has the same sheer ability.
    In fact, with your drawing, the back is where the load is anyway.

Load distribution kinda works that way, but only if you put back the board at the bottom between the legs.
    Otherwise it just spreads the legs.
    So again, back is better, because of the full square structure.

All overkill for a 29G tank anyway.

PS: Boun11 has a free stand you might be able to simply cut in half.

3. magnetar68

What's the best way to join the joints where the top frame meets the stand? Everywhere else one the net I see that the frame goes around the legs, not on top. I also did not see any screw that would be reasonably long enough (4.5"?). The other stand that was shown earlier in this thread has 4 additional legs inside so that the top and bottom frames go around those 4 legs. That seems like complete overkill.

[​IMG]

4. iani

iani Guest

You would probably just want to toe screw it.

5. magnetar68

I did see that in one place. What size screw for this? 2.5"? I assume on the inside of the frame with 2 screws next to each other? *(i.e., each joint would have 4 screws, 2 for each orthogonal board).

6. iani

iani Guest

I would only put one on each side. Two on each side would be too many for the 1.5" width of the 2x4. I would probably use a 3-3.5 inch deck screw.

7. houser

houser Past President

Yeah look up deck screws as they make some pretty long ones. Predrill holes to avoid splitting!

8. magnetar68

Done. Seems plenty strong. My wife and I got on it and shook it and it was strong in all directions. I left the diagonals off for now. I need to cut off the lip in the front, but my circular saw blade was pretty dull, so I am going to wait until I get a new one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

Nice work!