Cheap place for Hamilton 14kKbulbs?? Or other similar color

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell, Trade' started by sfsuphysics, Nov 8, 2005.

1. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

Anyone have any ideas for where to get some 175w 14kK hams? I've checked the marine depot, but they want like $80 a bulb, I've found a place that has them for $60 but never heard of the place, and unsure if I should trust with a credit card.

Also anyone have any experience with the 15kK XMs? I thought about trying them but unsure if they'd be a tad too blue.
  2. Elite

Elite Guest

Reefgeek is great.. My brother ordered light from them... One of the bulbs broke because of UPS and they sent replacement right away... Very good customer support..

I heard the 15K XM is bad.. Very low par.. Even lower than the 20K .... How about Reeflux bulb??
  3. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

Talk to Steve at New Alameda Aquatics. He can get Hamiltons in the $55-$65 range depending on quantity.

I got a couple 250w 14kk from him recently. He has a few bulbs of various sizes in stock from that order. Mostly 20kk I think, but give him a call.
  4. jedininja

jedininja Guest

As for online, reefgeek is a very good vendor.
  5. seminolecpa

seminolecpa Past President

Yep. I ordered my 250W 14K Hamiltons from reefgeek back in Jan. No problems.
  6. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

Support your LFS!

Especially, if you can get it for $55 out the door cash price, y'know :)
  7. sfsuphysics

Where is New Alameda Aquatics? Living over on the pennisula, it might cost me more in gas & bridge tolls to go there :) (plus they aren't local to me ;)).
  8. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

Oh, I thought you were in SF, not too far from Alameda.

They are here:

If could check if they have any in stock, and bring them to the frag workshop if you want.
  9. Elite

Elite Guest

SF to that place is about 40 Minutes depend where you live in SF and how crazy you drive :) ....
  10. sfsuphysics

I do live in SF :) Just going over to that side of the bay can be a bit crazy, I know I commute to San Pablo 4 days a week but I do that reverse commute in the mornings, which most stores aren't opened :)

If you could check (Mr. Ugly) that'd be great, I'd like 2 of them if possible (175watt, 14000k), save me some time running over there.
  11. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

Stopped by on my way home today. He has 20kk only, in stock. 2 each of 175, 250, and 400. They're marked $69, but I'm pretty sure he'd sell them for less. Steve wasn't there, so I didn't get to ask him.
  12. sfsuphysics

Nah, it's cool, 20kK are too blue for my taste.
  13. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

Yeah, I went for the 14kk, myself :)
  14. Raddogz

Raddogz Guest

I buy most of my lighting needs from ReefGeek. Greg is a really good guy to talk to. He has this crazy "govenator discount" that he gives that hella funny - it's something like five percent or something like that.
  15. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

So it's 5% off if you do an Ahnold impression?
  16. dswong01

dswong01 Supporting Member

He rebates the california state tax
  17. sfsuphysics

Interesting... well I never talked to him so no Ahnold rebate for me :) But I got the bulbs in 2 days, so good :)