got ethical husbandry?

Chemiclean and coral

I just used it on my 90 gallon tank. Instead of an airstone, I took the collection cup off the skimmer and am letting that provide all the air bubbles the tank needs. So far, I still have some cyano, so I am thinking of redosing two days before my next water change, so I can try to knock it all out since it seems to be stubborn as all heck, and also, so far, corals and fish seems to be doing just fine. I used 10 level scoops, for 100 gallons and have seen no adverse effects. I'll keep ya posted after the water change tomorrow.

So it's been about 30 mins or so after a water change, and my skimmer's still having an issue. From what I've read online, it takes ~5 days before the skimmer is back to normal. So now, I have a tube in the cup, with an acclimate box drip stick taking water from the cup and putting it back in the sump, while I have a bag of carbon sitting next to the skimmer. Hopefully after a day or so, I'll be able to adjust my skimmer back to a normal level, and be able to take out the carbon...

It did what it was supposed to do, although I still have some cyano left in the tank. But I lowballed the dosage- 10 level scoops for my 90, but I have ~34 gallon sump, but I figured with water displacement, caution, and the unsureity of my total water volume, 10 scoops was all I was willing to do. I think, after talking to xulio (Julio) that I will try to find some of the red slimer that he used- he had great results with it, didn't require a water change, and appeared to be a bacteria, so the skimmer functioned ok from my understanding. The chemiclean works, but, it's a bit more aggressive chemically than I am comfortable with. HTH

Brandie,

My skimmer went nuts as well when I applied it. I suspect that Red Slime Remover and Chemiclean have the same active compound. I was also conservative in my dosage but only bit on the low side. BTW, adding a few airstones is not going to hurt. You do have a fair number of fish in your tank after all.

Julio

Does you skimmer cup have a drain?
One thing you can do is send that to a 5 gallon bucket, and let it skim super-wet for a short time.
Think of it as a water change, so replace with salt water, not RODI top-off!
That seemed to speed up the process for me.

I think there are two type of Cyano chemicals.
Most of the Chemiclean like things are super oxidizers, like potassium permanganate that is used on ponds.
The others are antibiotic based. Generally Erythromycin.

Interestingly, using Ozone is not all that different. It is an oxidizer as well.
Although that process is mostly limited to the reaction chamber,
so only acts on the water.

xulio said:
Brandie,

My skimmer went nuts as well when I applied it. I suspect that Red Slime Remover and Chemiclean have the same active compound. I was also conservative in my dosage but only bit on the low side. BTW, adding a few airstones is not going to hurt. You do have a fair number of fish in your tank after all.

Julio

Why add airstones when running the skimmer cupless works just as well?? ;) I had tons of airation in my tank, the ORP probe reading even jumped a few points. Definitely had lots of bubbles LoL

Well, the skimmer is fine now. Just had to run some carbon until it was all gone. :) Only one that is not happy, and has gotten worse since the whole Chemiclean has been my RBTA = / not sure what caused it, but the Chemiclean definitely didn't help.. hopefully he bouces back.

I'd advise just draining and cleaning the fuge manually maybe. Def safer. Maybe go no light for a few days?

I am currently doing one of the "no light for 3 days" things to get rid of some cyano that has taken over my sandbed. Going to follow it up with a big WC (~50%) to hopefully remove a lot of the nutrients that remain. I haven't tried Chemiclean but it's next on the list.

I am currently doing one of the "no light for 3 days" things to get rid of some cyano that has taken over my sandbed. Going to follow it up with a big WC (~50%) to hopefully remove a lot of the nutrients that remain. I haven't tried Chemiclean but it's next on the list.
The 3-day dark period worked great for me! :)

Back