Jestersix

Chiller dilemma

It's days/weeks like this that make me want to run a chiller.

Tanks currently are being cooled off with fans and it seems to be working. The garage (where the tanks are) is under a bedroom so it doesn't get direct sun. Yesterday, the room temperature did not go past 85. It does get pretty humid from all the evaporation.

I do have a 1/3 HP chiller. It is not plumbed in at the moment.

My question is where to place the chiller.

If I leave it in the garage, it may raise the room temperature which will raise the water temperature faster making the chiller work harder.

If I leave it outside, it may work for regular summer days but on days like the ones we are having right now, how well will it work?

Welcome any insight from chiller users.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Depends how long you actually run the chiller, but in general do not put it in the garage if the tanks are in the garage, the whole point is that you dump heat from the tank into the environment, if the environment is the same space as what you're trying to remove heat from you won't get it working very well for these days where you're trying to lower the temp due to the environmental factors, it's like trying to cool your kitchen down by opening the fridge yeah it'll give you some temporary cooling but over the long run you're actually going to be heating up the area..

Yes outside it may seem like it's worse because it's hotter out there, but the fact the outside has a near infinite heat capacity to dump off the heat into, the outside temp will not raise a single degree regardless of how much your chiller works.

Is there a grate or opening that you can locate the chiller near? If so, I'd just run some longer tubes to the chiller from your sump to the located chiller with the back of it facing the grate/opening. You should be able to tell where the airflow from the chiller is coming from. If it's from the bottom, have a fan kick in as needed.

Evaporative cooling w chiller as an emergency type backup? Maybe a fan removin hot air from garage to outside? Especially if you can pull colder air from say a crawl space under the house into the garage?

Evaporative cooling w chiller as an emergency type backup? Maybe a fan removin hot air from garage to outside? Especially if you can pull colder air from say a crawl space under the house into the garage?

Possibly.

I'm toying with the idea of removing the insump fudge and sticking a pump in the space to feed a chaeto Rx n a chiller.

I ran a chiller @ 74F 24/7 for the longest time in the garage. If you got crawl space that would ideal to place the chiller because the air is cooler there.
You can hook a fan up to a Ranco ETC-111000-000 Digital Temperature Controller to push hot air out, too.
I was always against evaporate cooling in my house:)

Last edited:
Have you consider a eco-cooler? Its made by Deltec. Check out D&D website. Its powered by fans cooling water and only take a pump to get water into the unit and gravity flow back into the sump.

I ran a chiller @ 74F 24/7 for the longest time in the garage. If you got crawl space that would ideal to place the chiller because the air is cooler there.
You can hook a fan up to a Ranco ETC-111000-000 Digital Temperature Controller to push hot air out, too.
I was always against evaporate cooling in the house
His tank is in the garage but it's understandable why you wouldn't want the evaporative cooling indoors. I wonder though how much more moisture is added to the house vs a house that is in a place that is naturally more humid like Florida or somewhere in the south or even Hawaii.

Of course, the architectures and materials are different:)
Anyhow, my garage is well ventilated but I just don't like the little salt moisture there is eating at my tools:)

I think it will fine to run the chiller in his garage for short term but it will be more efficient if you had cooler air. Maybe you could leave garage door slightly open on hot day

Last edited:
Of course, the architectures and materials are different:)
Anyhow, my garage is well ventilated but I just don't like the little salt moisture there is eating at my tools:)

I think it will fine to run the chiller in his garage for short term but it will be more efficient if you had cooler air. Maybe you could leave garage door slightly open on hot day

My garage stays pretty cool. Often 10+deg under the outside so leaving the door open is actually worse.

Have you consider a eco-cooler? Its made by Deltec. Check out D&D website. Its powered by fans cooling water and only take a pump to get water into the unit and gravity flow back into the sump.

Is that remote evaporative cooling?

I may have room in the crawlspace and it's not too far from the tank if I can route it properly.

Have the same dilemma - tanks in garage, chiller (actually have 2 that came with complete tear downs I purchased) unplumbed, and 100+ out here in Livermore plus radiant heat from my wife's car at night. I am running a fan over the water and another one to blow heated air out a garage door vent. Been able to stabilize the tanks between 81-83 over the last week. Fish are active, nems expanded, and SPS PE look good. Maybe tanks should just stay between 81-83 with fans rather than mess with chillers? It is dry out here so no evaporation and humidity problems. I just open the garage door once and awhile to get rid of humidity and CO2.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I dunno, if you don't need it why plumb it in? Just another point where you risk leaking out onto the floor and draining out your sump.

8fa4137efe50c2e274f6e1f2d38faa26.jpg

it already leaked at the chiller valves (not well designed by Teco) but I simplified the valve with some permanent adhesives.

Possibly.

I'm toying with the idea of removing the insump fudge and sticking a pump in the space to feed a chaeto Rx n a chiller.

Go for it! Funny, I had the chaeto Rx in mind last week. I converted an old Elos Calcium Rx and mounted grow LEDs strips delivered from Amazon yesterday. Then your post inspired me to plumb one of my unused chillers after my DIY Rx. Running at 81 right now with 106 outside. Hopefully, the water temp will remain stable this afternoon and evening. I have fans blowing the hot air out my garage vents and I open my garage door occasionally.

I'm surprised your water temp didn't go down more with the fan on it. Once my tank started hitting 80 I put one of my household fans on it on medium and it dropped it low enough to turn on my heaters (77). From then on I only used it on low and it still keeps it right above the heater threshold. I got tired of moving my household fan from tank to room so I bought a small clip on fan and hooked it up to the apex to turn on at 79 and off at 78. Seems to be working alright so far.

$15 on amazon.
Comfort Zone -6 INCH- -2 Speed - Adjustable Tilt, Whisper Quiet Operation Clip-On-Fan with 5.5 Foot Cord and Steel Safety Grill , Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014THFEKK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_3HktzbGWX1ZBX

Back