High Tide Aquatics

Chiller size

MolaMola

Supporting Member
Have not been on the board lately but have a pressing question:
Is there any quick rule of thumb for sizing a simple drop-in chiller for heat wave emergencies? I did a search and know the proper way is to look at chiller efficiency and type, your equipment, room and tank temp difference, etc., but I just need a rough size because two people suggested 1/4 and 1/2 hp for just over 100 gal water only total in system but I did a little calculator and got 1/10 hp. While I work out climate control issues with school I need a quick and dirty drop-in chiller estimate.

1/4 HP should be fine on 100G. 1/10 is more along the lines of say a 50G tank. Have you also considered just using a fan to blow over the surface of the water? You get more evaporation, but it's cheap and pretty effective. How many degrees are you trying to drop?

Also, keep in mind that with a chiller, the heat transfer will be from tank to the room. If there's issues with the room temperature already, then you'll need to figure out a way to get the outflow from the chiller to an open space.

Thanks for the replies. Battling with school district over their changes in HVAC system. They are clueless about the system - worked fine for over a year, then they put it onto the main system and this winter it was dropping below 50 deg inside and whatever they set it at does not hold. I fear for the summer heat. Had an immediate funding opportunity so a chiller crossed my mind. Not as easy as I thought, though. If room is 90+ deg I guess chiller does not help as much as I thought. Last summer I used a fan and it was fine. Now I am looking into seeing what a dehumidifier could do for the overall situation. That seems to be part of the winter heating issue.

Back