Chiller

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by musclebenz, Apr 19, 2019.

1. musclebenz

musclebenz Supporting Member

I live in the Peninsula and never thought I would need a chiller but I think I am going to buy one to be on the safe side. I have a 70 gallon. Any recommendations?

2. Newjack

Newjack Supporting Member

I’ve always used Aqualogic chillers, (and still do). They are most likely outdated, I’ve had mine for 15+ years, but they are bullet proof and I don’t see any reason to change unless it stops working.

3. JVU

JVU BOD

Evaporation from fans set to turn on at high temp are very effective and much easier than chillers.

4. jccaclimber

jccaclimber Supporting Member

+1 on fans. A gallon of water evaporated per day is equivalent to pulling 107 W continuously from your system.
    On that same note, if you're running a heater, every extra gallon per day of evaporation is 107 W continuous (2.6 kW-hr per gallon, or per day in this case) that you're paying in electricity.

5. musclebenz

So you just place a fan or fans toward the tank to get this effect?

6. MolaMola

MolaMola Supporting Member

You can maximize the evaporative cooling by placing the fan so it blows across the water surface, if that works on your tank.

JVU and Coral reefer like this.
  7. Coral reefer

Coral reefer Past President

Or the surface in a sump. You want to control the fan via apex or ranco or something though and have a reliable auto top off with a reasonably large reservoir.

JVU likes this.
  8. musclebenz

Thanks Guys, great feedback..

9. xcaret

xcaret Guest

If you decide on getting a chiller, send me a pm.
    I’m a short drive away