Neptune Aquatics

Chipped the glass...

I was to put myself to put together a glass frag tank and I chipped the bottom |( glass on one corner, now I have to get a piece for it.
I know someone here works at a glass shop, anyone remember who the person is?
I'd like to get a quote from him for a piece ~48x24 3/8" either regular or tempered (if tempered I'd need the hole 2.5" drilled at one corner)
I was thinking of black glass but if price is more than I can afford then I have to think twice.

Maybe going PVC bottom? I have no clue on the thickness of the piece or what bonding stuff to use; already bought the RTV-103 Silicon adhesive to join the glass pieces.

I might keep the chipped glass, have it cut for a shorter frag tank and later buy the walls, well that's life...

http://www.bareefers.org/home/node/7708

take a look here for what I did for a PVC bottom.

If you go PVC Dow795 is the stuff you want (not a single leak while I had the tank up and running :D). I could have sworn I had an extra unopened tube downstairs, I know it was reaching the expiration date so if I find it you can have it since I have no use for it, although I may have tossed it because of that, I'll keep looking though.

I haven't seen the glass store guy on for a while :( Long enough I can;t remember his screen name

Correct, tempered glass can't be drilled, it cools "fast" so the outside layer gets hard while the inside is still soft, as the inside hardens it pushes out putting a bunch of tension on the glass. This makes it stronger than untempered, however you break the surface and the whole thing "explodes". Any holes in tempered glass have to be done before the glass is tempered.

stupid tempered glass.

Acrylic FTW... so much easier to deal with then glass in terms of construction and modifications.

Thanks for the input, after last night I just crashed on the bed.

I'll send Craig a pm hopefully he answers.

@Mike I'll take your offer on the Dow-795; in the end might be a cheaper choice and a cool option too.

@Jon the chip is about 2" but it will affect the "holding water inside issue"

If I go the glass route most likely would be drilled and tempered at one corner. I had the idea of having it drain dead center and set it as an "Island" tank, heck, I even built the stand for it already.

xcaret said:
I was to put myself to put together a glass frag tank and I chipped the bottom |( glass on one corner, now I have to get a piece for it.
I know someone here works at a glass shop, anyone remember who the person is?
I'd like to get a quote from him for a piece ~48x24 3/8" either regular or tempered (if tempered I'd need the hole 2.5" drilled at one corner)
I was thinking of black glass but if price is more than I can afford then I have to think twice.

Maybe going PVC bottom? I have no clue on the thickness of the piece or what bonding stuff to use; already bought the RTV-103 Silicon adhesive to join the glass pieces.

I might keep the chipped glass, have it cut for a shorter frag tank and later buy the walls, well that's life...
Sorry to hear about this...I know how frustrating it can be to have to replace glass. It is more pricey than what one would think. I hope you get a good deal; sorry I couldn't offer any more advice ;)

Yeah, it sucks; I think the glass was fractured at that specific corner.
I had a local place giving me a quote; $140 but went back yesterday and the guys want $280 !
No thanks, I'll check around and might go the "Mike-Mar" way with a PVC bottom.

JAR said:
you could proceed with the build and then glue a 4"x4" patch to fix the 2" chip.

oh boy, looking to get Murphy to his house? chips can turn into cracks can turn into disasters. IMO/IME not worth the hassle or risk.

A chip that big is something I would be very worried about creating issues later on.

xcaret said:
Yeah, it sucks; I think the glass was fractured at that specific corner.
I had a local place giving me a quote; $140 but went back yesterday and the guys want $280 !
No thanks, I'll check around and might go the "Mike-Mar" way with a PVC bottom.

That glass price is decent...

http://www.mcmaster.com/#plastics/=b3cs2g

but PVC with out shipping for what you spec'd is not costly at all. $62!!!

ok found my Dow 795, however I noticed the "use by" date was actually Feb of last year not this year, so I can't let you use it in good conscious.

That's OK Mike, thanks; still need to get funds for the bottom piece, 1/2" PVC sheet is ~$85 plus shipping from mcmaster; I'll check TAP then talk to the glassier on why the difference from one week ago to this one, not even gas prices double in a week; probably they made a mistake either my first visit or the second.
Already got the RTV-103; once put back together I'll drill it for corner overflow; not sure yet if do the standard 1" drain or go over to 1.5", tank is roughly 70G.

Back