Reef nutrition

Chosing the right anemone

Glad you like the idea, but don't go rushing into anything right now. Wait till Gresh replies, he may very well have a good reason for advising against it.

Opps my mistake....

Read Euphyllia as Entacmaea

I don't see any problem with a Euphyllia if the tank param's are kept in order and nuisance algae is kept down to a minimum.

Euphyllia said:
Trust me... I'll NEVER let hair algae get out of control EVER again in my entire life! I just hate that stuff SO much!

quoted for future reference :) I've heard thousands say that, and said it myself, but even after as long as I have been doing this I still get out breaks.

If you haven't figured out why you had it, your doomed to keep repeating it until you do figure it out, that is one thing I know for sure in this hobby :)

Is the 14 gallon you are planning on using the one in your profile pic? If so, what kind of filtration/skimmer are you using? I used to have a 12 gallon jbj nanocube and had to go skimmerless because I couldnt find a suitable skimmer that could fit in the small refugium area and under my hood. This led to a lot of hair algea problems that didnt get solved until my tank fully matured (+8 months) and my soft corals got big enough to absorb most of the nutrients that were in my tank. That's basically another reason why anemones are a poor choice.

Anyways, you should find a way to put a good skimmer on your tank (if you havn't already) or be prepared to pull a lot of algea for a while until your tank matures. Also, really try to limit the number of fish in your tank (1 ideally) until everything is going smoothly.

The tank in my profile picture is my dwarf seahorse tank that is currently cycling. The 14g I have is the Oceanic Biocube which I have a skimmer for... but the skimmer is broken... but I have the parts to fix it... :)

Anyways, the 14g is 14 months old right now and the hair algae come at 8 months and never before had I had a problem with it.

Euphyllia said:
Anyways, the 14g is 14 months old right now and the hair algae come at 8 months and never before had I had a problem with it.

What? HA has a set date it starts and if passed it won't start? Sorry I have to refute your claim as it is not accurate at all.

You are in all respects are a newbie and the information you post as fact is typically highly inaccurate and usually down right false. I highly encourage you to change your writing style as so to denote in your posts it's your opinion and not fact. IMO goes a long way to show the reader your not quite sure. Gah, now I'm going to write a boil plate response to posts like this of yours and others.

It can happen at any point. It can start in days, weeks or even never start. My first tank never went through any algal blooms during or after cycling. When I had a large die off due to a major incident, the HA started in that tank.

In his defense Gresham, I believe he meant to say " ... Anyways, the 14g is 14 months old right now and the hair algae came at 8 months and never before had I had a problem with it."

typos matter very little, I urge you to reread my middle paragraph above and take it to heart. It will go a long way to having others help you and not be turned off and not want to help you. BAR is a group of very helpful people and many of us want to help you but it's very hard when you post inaccurate assumptions and guesses at fact.

GreshamH said:
typos matter very little, I urge you to reread my middle paragraph above and take it to heart. It will go a long way to having others help you and not be turned off and not want to help you. BAR is a group of very helpful people and many of us want to help you but it's very hard when you post inaccurate assumptions and guesses at fact.

OK I read it and "took it to heart."

I'd recommend for Matthew NOT to put a big euphyllid in the 14g.

I think it will be a problem for him to keep alk and magnesium in line.

How about a St. Thomas ricordia? They can have an anemone look, and they're pretty cool and less common.

Mr. Ugly said:
I'd recommend for Matthew NOT to put a big euphyllid in the 14g.

I think it will be a problem for him to keep alk and magnesium in line.

How about a St. Thomas ricordia? They can have an anemone look, and they're pretty cool and less common.

I can keep the alk in line, but I'm lazy on the mag because I have the hardest mag test kit in the world. I was able to keep a nice frogspawn and hammer (I sold both to BAR members since I'm going to re-set up the 14g) which were both pretty good sizes and grew a lot in my tank. I have a frogspawn in my 34g that is about 1" and I've had it for about 7-8 months now and it is doing great. I'm going to be upgrading the lights to 72w PC (54w 10,000K with 18w Blue Actinics) which is more than 4w per gallon so I think euphyllias should do fine in my tank. But if you are certain that I won't be able to keep them then I'll just cover the tank in large ricordias and other things that a clown might host in. What other corals do clowns host in that I could keep when I re-set up the tank?

All MG kits are hard Matthew, it's best to learn it though. When all said and done it's a bunch of basic steps. Be patient and don't go fast when doing the test. Nothing comes fast in the hobby but trouble.

Euphyllia said:
I have a frogspawn in my 34g that is about 1" and I've had it for about 7-8 months now and it is doing great.

That frogspawn in a 14g will suck down the alk and Mg about 2.5x as fast as in the 34g. So what was ok in the big tank, could be tricky in a smaller tank.

I second Norman's suggestion on the St. Thomas Rics, they are super cool, IMO cooler than Euphylliads.

Why? Euphyllias HATE heat, anything above 83 and you're playing with fire and in that small of a tank if your coral dies so do your fish. Plus, keeping up with demand means that you are stuck taking care of your tank and not out skating or going on a vacation, believe me, I haven't been to Central America in years and am dying to get down and surf the warm waters, but I'm married to way too many tanks to make it happen.

Back