Kessil

Chromis’s 90g Acropora tank

Don't make assumptions about my babies being rambunctious! How dare you!
They only dislodge/break 1.5 corals per week on average I'd say. The urchin is a nuisance in that regard as well

Here's a pic of my miyagi tort. It's nice, but I think there are cooler things. [emoji6]

b4fe92eb5170a19d21292191fded735b.jpg
This looks more like my BC Spainbow than my Miyagi tort?

Are you still using calcium reactor media as a substrate? How do you like it? What do you do to maintain it? Thanks.

Dave
The mono-layer of calcium reactor media works pretty well. It’s natural looking and there are lots of pods in it. Since turning my Gyres up not much detritus comes out of the substrate during water changes (and there’s no sand blowing around). Ok the other hand my cucumber hasn’t starved to death. The size is good for corals sitting on the bottom because there are fewer contact points and more circulation underneath, so you can just let broken SPS branches sit there for a week until you have time to deal with it.

It’s probably also helpful for mushrooms and zoas that fall off the reef to have a chunky substrate to attach to, instead of blowing around on sand.

Seems like some good benefits but I don’t know if I could get used to the look of it. The look of sand is so appealing. The finer the prettier but we all know the balance we strike with the grain size.

Sand is my favorite but sometimes you just get tired of siphoning cyano off of it!

Here is the calcium reactor media under discussion and the rainbow chalice that is still mostly half and half blue-red.
7ee05926cfaa1eea487f224c4126108b.jpg

And here is a new red acro pick-up from Neptune’s wild(?) collection, compare with Red Robin stag (top) and Red Planet (bottom).
1c937b6ad2029f98726b1bf0f8aa590f.jpg

Four months in:
316226cd8f987f3da16432422777e9ae.jpg

The fish have been really happy since removing the Pygmy angel. My one clownfish looked like she was going to die from battle wounds from the Pygmy, but had a full recovery except she is still blind in one eye.

Corals are growing pretty well, the larger water volume seems to help with stability and I’m really happy with the tank, skimmer and pumps. There are a lot of pods in the substrate and also noticed spaghetti worms feeding at night - they don’t seem to agitate any of the corals sitting on the bottom so I guess they’re alright.

The monti section - love how these fluoresce in the moonlight LEDs(except for the purple monti).
c17783dd74ffab3b78d5beacf972c969.jpg

Some corals settling in:
f718a5ffcfda8bedb938064e27788a17.jpg

and a new one, En Fuego milli. I cut it into two pieces and glued it to two different spots - here is one piece. Isn’t it cute lol!
78a134b2832c8cca2cbd9def877bdea1.jpg

Wow. Everything looks great. There has been a lot of growth since I saw your tank at the screen building workshop!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
@Bruce_Spiegelman ‘s bubblegum digi from the last swap. Showing its characteristic blue skin under orange polyps. The new growth ring is green which can confuse it with the forest fire digi :)
4fd4fcdb7b68f9160508f7e85d992fae.jpg

Really like the fluorescent orange contrast with deep blue, can’t wait for it to grow out more.

@Bruce_Spiegelman ‘s bubblegum digi from the last swap. Showing its characteristic blue skin under orange polyps. The new growth ring is green which can confuse it with the forest fire digi :)
4fd4fcdb7b68f9160508f7e85d992fae.jpg

Really like the fluorescent orange contrast with deep blue, can’t wait for it to grow out more.
Interesting... my forest fire digi tends to have some blue at times.

That’s an understatement. That’s some serious growth.
Be right over to get homewrecker and rainbow chalice frags

Last edited:
How are your Alk and Ca levels now? Are they steady? What are you keeping them at/aiming for? Thanks.

Back