Our mission

Clam Direct - Pinched Mantle research

I think BAR members can donate together under the idea that they are BAR members donating together.

The BOD is looking at several projects to donate to right now, and some of them may be more in line with the mission statement of the club than this one.

And even though its Barry, I would like some detail about what the money is actually going for and who is going to materially benefit from the research.

BTW, I am going to send some of my own money. :D

You can not collect monies in the name of any company, group, club, etc, with out the permission of said group. Doing so is actually committing fraud ;) There was a huge case in my home town a few yearsago dealing with this directly. A group collected money under the name of a group they where a part of. They donated the money to the cause, but, the people in charge of the group did not authorize it, and pressed charges. Every person who was a part of the collection process was prosocuted. Not saying that will happen here, but the law is fairly clear in this case. I'll dig around and get you the case and CA law.

You can donate in the name of anyone you want, you just can not collect using a name, with out their approval first.

[quote author=Thales link=topic=1797.msg17031#msg17031 date=1173218551]
I think BAR members can donate together under the idea that they are BAR members donating together.

The BOD is looking at several projects to donate to right now, and some of them may be more in line with the mission statement of the club than this one.

And even though its Barry, I would like some detail about what the money is actually going for and who is going to materially benefit from the research.

BTW, I am going to send some of my own money. :D
[/quote]

I suggest the BOD contacts Barry for that clarification then <no brainer>.

The club only collects money. It has yet to really dip into the HUGE bank account!

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=1797.msg17036#msg17036 date=1173219374]
[/quote]
I believe that is what the club is doing... It's been less than 24 hours since this was brought to light, geeze.

Yeah, I think a little time is something the club needs here. Donating off the cuff is not something the club should be doing.

Remember donating to the various salt studies? The Net fund? The Elegance project? The only thing worse than not donating is donating to a joke, and given the track record of hobby side projects, the club should be careful. That said I am going to donate myself.

Donating is great, but if this is a boo boo, or its set to materially benefit clams direct through proprietary selling of a cure, then I am not so sure it would be proper for the club to donate to the cause.

[quote author=Thales link=topic=1797.msg17040#msg17040 date=1173220818]
Yeah, I think a little time is something the club needs here. Donating off the cuff is not something the club should be doing.

Remember donating to the various salt studies? The Net fund? The Elegance project? The only thing worse than not donating is donating to a joke, and given the track record of hobby side projects, the club should be careful. That said I am going to donate myself.

Donating is great, but if this is a boo boo, or its set to materially benefit clams direct through proprietary selling of a cure, then I am not so sure it would be proper for the club to donate to the cause.
[/quote]

Net fund nets where sent to the field and are in use thru out the south pacific and the Philippines = prodcued fruit. The salt study took a long time, but it did produce fruits and where published. What other salt fund are you talking about? The other one that was published?

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=1797.msg17038#msg17038 date=1173220002]
[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=1797.msg17036#msg17036 date=1173219374]
[/quote]
I believe that is what the club is doing... It's been less than 24 hours since this was brought to light, geeze.
[/quote]

And you think my question warranted that response Mike? No place in this entire thread did any BOD mention they where seeking more information, now did they?

I think it would be better to first understand what the donation is going to go for before blindly giving money after having only a day to even know about this.

Not there.

And not there.

Both where saying the BOD needed more info, but neither implied the BOD was seeking it out themselves ;) Knowing how the BOD has operated in the past, I made a suggestion the BOD seek out more information so that yet another project that could happen, doesn't die!

I'm sure you guys see this on RC but just incase ;D

Originally posted by mbbuna
i was contacted about the thread on the BAR forum an asked if Barry or I would comment on it. I am not an employee of clams direct but i do help out on the forum (clams direct). i contacted Barry and showed him the thread and he responded with this.

"As most of us know that Pinched Mantle has been around for quit awhile now, so about a year and half ago ClamsDirect contacted some Maine Lab in the LA/San Diego area and provided these labs with healthy and also infected clams so that we could find out what it was. After some testing it was determined that is was a protozoan but the family of protozoan was not identified as it would take a lot more research and this lab wanted approx $5,000 to $8,000 for additional lab work. Needless to say after spending 1200.00 plus supplying clams and shipping cost we had to end the research with this lab.

Did a speaking engagement last year at the University of Maine and after talking about pinched mantle, some doctors shown some interest. After several conference call, they volunteered to help with this case study. They have done a lot of work thus far but In order to positively confirm this they may have to use a more sophisticated technique called DNA analysis. This same technique is used in human forensic medicine to establish paternity in legal cases or to identify the perpetrators of crimes.

After we get more conclusive answers and hopefully a treatment, them we will write a paper and hopefully have it published in one of the marine magazines. The University, with ClamsDirect permission will have it published in a scientific journal. They are also not charging us for their time, just the hard cost of testing.

Hope this answers some of your questions. Feel free to drop me an email at barry@ClamsDirect.com

All donations will be solely used for this purpose and is open for an independent audit.

We are doing this so that we can better understand what causes this disease and hopefully find a way to treat it.

http://www.clamsdirect.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1982

Barry"

Thanks everybody for the info.

The current BOD has been and will be evaluating donation proposals.

Even though we are more fully staffed now than previously, we are all still volunteers who are doing our best to put in enough time to work together in organizing club projects.

No intentional foot dragging here :D

Back