got ethical husbandry?

@#$%^ CLAM EATERS!!!

Well thanks to Derek from OT, Charles (who picked it up and delivered it to Matt) and Matt I got my first clam yesterday. A nice little 2 inch Tridacna Derasa. I took my time and acclimated it over 2.5 hours and it was doing awesome this morning. Then within a 30 minute period of me getting ready this morning I found my 2 Nassarius snails on top of it, what that heck! I quickly pulled them off and moved it off the sand onto a rock and began to watch. Within minutes 1 came back for more so I took a quick pick and moved it up higher. :( Anyone want some escargot?

The picture is bad but I didn't have time to get a good one. I doubt it'll bounce back but if you have any thoughts on that lmk.

Yup nassarius really only eat carrion, definitely not live and thriving clams. That sucks Levi :(

That's what I thought (about the nassarius) but the clam was responding to light changes and physical touch. I floated it for 60 minutes and then aclimated it for 1.5 hours.... ..... sigh. I hate to say it was the clam....

response does not equate to healthy, thriving. IMO your clam was well into it's way out and the snails smelled that. Death has a particular smell to animals to eat dead stuff :(

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=5554.msg69276#msg69276 date=1229278321]
response does not equate to healthy, thriving. IMO your clam was well into it's way out and the snails smelled that. Death has a particular smell to animals to eat dead stuff :([/quote]

That along with normal clean appearance were the only things I know to check? I don't recall who told me that though.

Where's the "Clam's for dummies" when you need it? :)

wow. i guess i wasnt the only one that lost their clam last night. I come home from the meeting and found my clam was half way close. When i lifted it up, the main muscles tissue of the clam fell right out. Not sure what happened, but he was still alive. But when i looked at it this morning, he was dead. Shell wide open witht he clam retractred inside.

For some reason, i could keep all kind of SPS, LPS and softies. But could not keep clams for longer than a few months. I know i dont have any snails in my tank, nor any clam eating snails. but they all die after a while. This last one only was the longest, 6 months.

I think i need a copy of that book. :)

clam suckers come out at night....

Makes me want to grab some card board and start break dancing :D

Back