Reef nutrition

Clam lovers...My crocea needs help.

Lyn

My Crocea clam is showing tan splotches. I do not know what is causing this. When I first got it, I noticed a few splotches, but now it has alot more. It looks like it is part of the mantle. I am not entirely sure though. I had a Klein's butterfly with it, which I took out, and the only other major inhabitant is a banded coral shrimp, and a few hermits and snails. I have never seen the other critters picking on the clam.

The clam is under 70 watts 10,000K Metal Halide in a 12 gal Nano. Could it be bleaching? Please let me know what you think.
BTW, the previous owner said it has stayed the same size for 3 years. He never supplemented the tank. Could it be calcium deficiency? Other deficiencies? It is colder now, could it be temperature related? Temp is 77. It lives with other SPS.

Got in summer
IMGP3927.jpg

Pictures tonight
DSCN2543.jpg
DSCN2543-1.jpg

IMGP3946-1.jpg
IMGP3946.jpg

Hey there,

I've been thinking about this since Scott came by last night. (BTW, thanks for the extra cookies.) First off, it doesn't sound like bleaching to me. Bleaching should not go from blue to brown and then to pale blue/whitish. Your lighting should be easily enough, but you are welcome to borrow a 175W setup from me, I just need to get it from my parent's garage. How old is the bulb?

How long has it been have the clam and butterfly been separated? Any new spots since then or any change? That would be my first guess. Or, possibly other predators or sponges? How about water flow? (I don't think is it, but should ask) I can't tell how extended the mantel is, but it looks good enough. Does it react quickly when you shade it? (If so, good first sign of health)

Hi Dyngoe,

The clam continues to retract quickly whenever a shadow crosses it. That is why I was not too worried at first about a few splotches. But now, the splotches have increased dramatically. It still retracts quickly though. (I just checked)

I just took the butterfly out last night. So if it was him, I won't notice a difference for a while, I'm guessing. When I first got the clam, I noticed some tannish translucent areas, but was not too concerned. If you look at the top picture, you can see one of these tan areas on the middle left fold. (if you turn the picture clockwise). Do the splotches look like bite marks from the butterfly? I never saw him bite the clam, although I have seen him nip corals. If it was him, those marks could be the right size.

I do not see any sponges in this tank. Doesn't mean they don't exist though. What would a sponge do to a clam?

It could be the bulb. It is a year old, although, I hardly used it for the first 6 months. I do have a glass canopy over the top to try to maintain temperature and decrease evaporation, but I could up the heater and remove the glass if you think that would help.

Water flow is the regular pump plus one Koralia nano. The flow is indirect. I know clams like lower flow, but I read Croceas can stand a little more than the others. Is this true?

I also have to say that since putting the butterfly in with the sps' and clam, none of the polyps have come out except for the pipe organ coral, so I know it was nipping. He could be the culprit.

I'll check all water parameters, try removing the canopy to allow more light in, and go from there. If I see increased splotching, I'll borrow your light, if that is ok with you. I'll give it a week then report back. What do you think?

Well, if you "just" removed the butterfly and the clam is acting/looking healthy otherwise then I'd just wait and see. If it doesn't start to clear up or gets worse in a week or so then I'd start thinking of something else. If it were me I'd just make sure the water is clean/stable and watch.

BTW, if it was the butterfly it may look worse over the next few days as the abrasions get irritated but the others should start healing within the same time period.

Oooooo, if you have a spare camera around, set it up on a tripod or fixed position and take a picture once a day. I did this with a coral I thought was STN (extremely S in this case) and it helped me accurately compare the damage after a week.

Don't know where my tripod is, but I'll try to take a picture every day. I'll post so we all can compare pictures. Unfortunately, I have a junk camera...sigh - but better than nothing. :)

Thanks for bouncing around ideas with me. It may help me remember something that I might have overlooked. :) Another reason why BAR and these forums are so great! :D

I think the clam looks ok, its probably adapting to your current lights, like corals the colors can change form enviroment to enviroment.

[quote author=Dyngoe link=topic=5568.msg69564#msg69564 date=1229327166]
First off, it doesn't sound like bleaching to me. Bleaching should not go from blue to brown and then to pale blue/whitish.
[/quote]

Bleaching of clams does that exactly though...blue>brown>whitish/clear. It's indicative of zoax. loss in extreme cases. It's also quite common for clams to have such coloration when the mantel extended.

IMO yours looks fine.

Hi Arnold,

I've had that clam a while now. Do you think it would take 4-6 months to adjust? What have you experienced, as far as color changes in your clams adjustments?

Really Gresham? Can you see the splotches in the 4 pictures on the bottom? Does beaching start out as little roundish splotches?

I really do hope you're right and that the clam is ok. :)

Bleaching isn't always a bad thing, it can sometimes just alert you it's actively acclimating. Give it some time, they look just fine to me. My 6" maxima always looked like that :D

No, I don't. someone told me they don't need it as much as they get older. Also, the person I bought it from never fed it for 3 years. I wondered if I should feed it though.

How can you tell if a clam is eating?

It's very hard to tell. The best way is to feed it phytos it's known to eat, like the diatoms contained in Phyto-Feast.

They don't "need" it but it helps them (survive vs thrive). You can live for quite a while on carbs, but even longer with a complete diet :)

Makes sense to me.

Arnold asked me if I saw any growth on the shell, and the answer is -no. Shouldn't Croceas get to be about 6 inches? This one is just over 3 inches, and according to the previous owner, has not grown or changed at all. Could it be stunted?

Aside from Phyto-Feast, what else do you supplement with? I know they need calcium and a bit of strontium; Iodine? anything else?

No real need for Iodine. I wouldn't add that unless you test for it. Just your normal CA/ALK/MG really. Keep those three levels up and low Po4 and Silica and you should be fine :)

Hi Arnold,

Yes, I found out that my Alkalinity was really low. I fixed that and it seems to be doing better. The splotches are still there, so I am wondering if it is a lighting issue also. I have started feeding it Phyto Feast. I turn off the flow and pour the diluted plankton in over the clam. I have noticed that when the flow is off, the clams mantel puffs out alot more. I do not know if it is reacting to the Phyto Feast, or wanting more light.

The tannish splotches seem to be turning white, so I do believe it is bleaching. Perhaps 70 Watt 10,000k Metal Halide is not enough for it? It sits 10-12 inches under the light in a 12 gal nano tank. Perhaps there is too much parameter fluctuations in a small tank for its liking. However, the pink bird's nest and Cali tort are growing well.

I think it is growing a little, as I do see a white edge to one shell of the clam when it fully retracts, but shouldn't I be seeing even growth on both sides?

What do you think?

How long should I keep trying with it (weeks, months?) before it is beyond help? I do not want to kill "Chowder". (Maybe this wasn't a good name choice :( )

Would someone be willing to take Chowder before it is beyond retrieval if I can not get it to color up again?

I'll post more pictures, but it is hard to see the splotches with my camera. You have to look closely to see the faint brown/white splotches.

Back