Reef nutrition

Clam lovers...My crocea needs help.

Arnold,

So, you think I should leave the clam where it is for a couple months, then if I don't see improvement in the splotching, move it higher?

It has been nearly a month since I fixed the Alk and started feeding Chowder. He seems to be improved. At least his splotches are not as light as they used to be, I think. Hopefully in another month he will be spotless. :) Thank you to all the clam lovers who offered words of wisdom, help and encouragement. :D

Pictures taken today.

IMGP4156-1.jpg
IMGP4154.jpg

Pictures taken last month.

IMGP3946-1.jpg
IMGP4047-1.jpg

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=5568.msg73130#msg73130 date=1231315826]
BTW how do you like the A-C Nano?
[/quote]

Since I started feeding the clam and SPS' in this tank, the skimmer has started pulling out proteins. The skimmate is still light colored though, but it definitely is working more than before. I think I didn't have a lot of proteins in this tank to begin with, so I thought it wasn't working well. The true test would be for me to stick it on my 28 gal with lots of disolved proteins in it from the softies. :)

So, I thought Chowder was in the clear. After all, the splotches were fading. But then a few days ago I noticed a large whitish spot on an area that seems to always be hyperextended; more so than the rest of the mantle. I thought the flow hit it there wrong and it just pillowed out the mantle in that area.

Now Chowder came with a couple mushrooms attached to his shell. They didn't seem to bother him, so I thought nothing of it. I did remove a large tube worm from him though. Recently, I have been feeding chowder and the coral in this tank. All have seemed to benefit, including the mushrooms, which have grown. There is one, the largest mushroom, touching the mantle where it is bleaching.

Questions:

1. Can/do mushrooms sting clams?
2. Is this what is perhaps causing the bleaching in this one spot?
3. Has anyone ever had problems with their corals stinging their clam, and what was the reaction of the clam? I guess I want to know if it bleached in that spot.
4. Should I try to remove the mushrooms?
5. How should I remove it if I need to without hurting the clam?

Any info would be appreciated. It might mean that I won't have to rush to set up a larger, more stable environment for Chowder.

can you take a picture? I don't think the mushroom can hurt the clam...but it should be easy to scrape of the shell with a knife or something. I have seen lots of aiptasia on clam shells and they don't seem to bother them, but I always scrape them of before they get into my tank.

You can see the browner area and under that is the mushroom. The pigmentation loss is more evident in person. Also in the picture you can see that the mantle has lost some of the flourescent markings as compared to other less affected areas. :( This area of the mantle has always been stretched and extended more than any other area. Could it be due to the mushroom?

original picture w/flash, then auto fix.

IMGP4234.jpg
IMGP4234-1.jpg

IMGP4226.jpg
IMGP4226-1.jpg

IMGP4225-2.jpg
IMGP4225-1.jpg

IMGP4237.jpg

Another mushroom. There is a long slit in the mantle above the mushroom. It was in this area where I removed the "fishing" worm.

IMGP4227-1.jpg

What do you think?

What's a "fishing" worm? The one that spits out a large web and starts with a V?

[quote author=Apon link=topic=5568.msg82077#msg82077 date=1234920915]
can you remove the mushroom, it is on the outside of the clam right?
[/quote]

Arnold,

Should I just scrape it/them off? I see that there are little baby mushrooms there too. I know if you leave just a little piece, it'll regrow. Do you just take the clam out of the water and hack away? I always worry about air bubbles when I remove them from the water.

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=5568.msg82078#msg82078 date=1234921050]
What's a "fishing" worm? The one that spits out a large web and starts with a V?
[/quote]

LOL :D I got lazy and couldn't think straight at almost 1 AM, plus my head is clogged with a nasty virus. Ok, Vermetid; tubiculous polychaete, or Lyn's fishing worm". You know, they put out a line or net of mucus, catch food, and reel them in! Makes sense right? ;D

yes you can scrape it off, if you are careful you might be able to get the mushroom to come off hole and relocate it. sometimes the foot releases. you can scrape underwater too, if you are afraid off the air.

I don't think the worm can hurt it.

I got it Lyn :) I had never heard them called that, but I guess it right off the bat so it's a fitting name :)

The worm definitely can irritate it. They did it to my clam enough he grew lopsided until I removed them.

Update on Chowder.

I removed all the mushrooms and Vermetid worms I could find. Tonight he looks much better. Even my husband commented that he looks better. The bleaching spot isn't so light anymore. :) I have also been changing water more frequently due to the flatworms in the tank (trying to decrease nutrient levels). I think all the inhabitants appreciate it though. :D

IMGP4253.jpg

Very nice sherri, you detected a problem. Then you worried and thought about it, asked questions and posted pictures. Over a short amount of time you solved the problem and everything looks much better. Good to see you getting results and the club working like it should. BTW some day I want a clam too.

Back