Neptune Aquatics

Clams?

A quick google search came up with this, and much more. I suggest running your own google search, there is a lot of info out there.

http://www.reefs.org/library/talklog/r_gent_020898.html

I think that's a good basic intro to clams. There is an entire book by Knop about them if you care for a detailed in depth chunk of knowledge.

Basically, in a mature tank with stable conditions, clams can be hardy and easy to care for. They do have specific needs that must be met, but those needs are very similar to most of the corals we keep. It's also important to choose a healthy clam to begin with. I suggest reading up on their care and physiology before deciding which species is right for your tank.

They do feed, though how much depends on size, species, and particle size. Color is also dependant on species, 2 of the species are commonly blue, one uncommonly blue, and another often has a blue rim. Crocea clams, while usually the most colorful, are thought to feed less.

Can you provide some tank info?

anathema said:
A quick google search came up with this, and much more. I suggest running your own google search, there is a lot of info out there.

http://www.reefs.org/library/talklog/r_gent_020898.html

I think that's a good basic intro to clams. There is an entire book by Knop about them if you care for a detailed in depth chunk of knowledge.

Basically, in a mature tank with stable conditions, clams can be hardy and easy to care for. They do have specific needs that must be met, but those needs are very similar to most of the corals we keep. It's also important to choose a healthy clam to begin with. I suggest reading up on their care and physiology before deciding which species is right for your tank.

They do feed, though how much depends on size, species, and particle size. Color is also dependant on species, 2 of the species are commonly blue, one uncommonly blue, and another often has a blue rim. Crocea clams, while usually the most colorful, are thought to feed less.

Can you provide some tank info?

Wow talk about dated material Gusty :lol: the RDO link is from 1998 and Daniels book was printed in 1996 (which is now out of print - though rumor has it he is currently updating it). There has been a TON of research since then and much of it goes against what was in Knopp's book.

The book to get is by James Fatherree...

61JQh%2BTX5bL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Color really isn't dependent on species, many share the same colors. Color patterns are less shared, but still several species do share the same patterns. The shell shape and scute shape is how you ID them, just like with coral you go for coralite structure, not color.

You won't notice much if any in a drop of nitrate once adding one or two. It takes a decent amount to get a drop in nitrate. The more you have, the much greater demand you tank will have for ALK/CA/MG.

Thanks Gresham,

Most of my sources tend to be dated because I was out of the hobby a few years. Glad there is a better source I'll have to check it out.

I also was a little unclear when I said color is dependent on species. Gresham is correct, and I think I was trying to oversimplify for you since it seemed you are new to the subject.

When you look at clams in the local stores to buy, you will probably be able to tell which species they are fairly quickly by simply looking at the colors/pattern on the mantle. There are some oddball clams out there, and in the wild there is a lot more variation, but in the hobby I think we mostly see clams from a small number of sources and they usually all look similar. If you see an oddball clam that defies the norm in the store it will be in the front tank with a big huge OMG $$$$ pricetag and the store owner will be happy to tell you how super rare it is. I wouldn't recommend spending big bucks on your first clam, because even the lower grade "gold" clams are quite pretty in my opinion.

-G

Next meeting I will bring my copy for you to check out G :) It's a very good book... I read it in one night, like I did with Daniels.

FWIW we sell them as well so if you end up liking it and want a copy, you know where to get it.

Well confused is giving them a wee bit too much brain power :lol:

Back