Reef nutrition

Clarion angelfish

G

Hi Guys, just wanted to show you the prettiest site I've seen in years. A legal shipment of ~80+ clarions :D

Just A FYI, this is the first legal shipment of multiples in ~20 years. These guys are fetching ~$2,500 retail.

DSC_3037.jpg

DSC_3036.jpg

DSC_2994.jpg

And the smallest one I have ever seen shipped!! You'll be seeing more of this little guy I'm sure :D

DSC_3010.jpg

Oops that isn't the smallest one picture. That guy is like 3.5" while the other is more like 2-2.5" :D

Rare fish command rare prices ;) Peppermints fetch $15K due to how deep and rare they are. Clarions fetch the price as the main place tehy are found takes several days of open ocean travel to get to, all off limits to all but military now basically and no permits have been issued in 20 years. In Mexico to collect and ship angels you need a main permit and an add on "endemic" list. To go to the Islands takes a major feat of wading thru the Maxican government. No one has been able to pull off the permit until recently.

FWIW almost all of these are off to Asia. This shipment is sold 4X's over :D

LBA's was a confiscated one from a smuggled shipment a few years ago Eric :)

Doh, that would explain why they have one. Beautiful fish for sure.

58293554.jpg

BTW, you have any pics of peppermints? I've only seen them in books...

There's only a handful out there. I could turn you onto someone that probably knows every known aquarium with one :)

Most are leaving by tonight but there will be a few healing for the next month so there will be something to look at :)

There's a better source closer to home for you though. Joe Russo was extremelly instrumental in making the trip happen thus he's got some. 10 landed in NY earlier today :)

Jim - how can you be a sponsor and BOD member? I didn't think you where either now :D

Missed you today by 2 minutes. You guys left at 12:29 Bob said and I was there at 12:31 :(

I'll give Joe a call, I was going to stop by his place next week anyway. He told me about them coming in, but I'm not sure how long he will have them in his possession.
Joe also told me it's a long boat ride to collect them, which I'm sure adds to the cost.

Come on the boat ride isn't that long.. What 800 miles from San Diego :) Slightly closer if coming from baja :)

I've fished both Clarion Island and Clipperton Atoll.. I couldn't imagine what it would be like try ing to collect fish for the aquarium trade way out there..

The ones left are feeding on Arcti-Pods as well as other feeds :)

Back