Cleaner Crew Group Buy Anyone?

Discussion in 'Group Buys' started by Dyngoe, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Dyngoe

Dyngoe Guest

Anyone else want to update their cleaner crews? There are some good deals for bulk buys at Keys Critters and Marine Depot, unless there is another place to consider. I'm not looking for a 10+ person, $1000 group buy but I simply don't need 200 Astrea snails and 150 hermits. If you are interested just reply and we can put something together. I'm planning on ordering on Monday for Tuesday delivery.

2. badbread

badbread Guest

I'd be down for enough for a 29 gallon, I was going to go pick up my cleaning crew tomorrow but can wait for this.

3. LeviT

LeviT Guest

Check out the prices here. http://reeftopia.com/ CVReefers use them often. I think they offer free shipping with like $120 order. They have lot prices ....

http://reeftopia.com/completecatalog-a.htm

Hermit, Small BlueLeg (300 @ .30 Each)
    Snail, Turbo (Astrae) (100 @ .48 Each)

4. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

I'm not trying to be ranty here, but I'm sure it'll come off as such.

I've evolved with my understanding/desire for a "cleaner crew" having a 100g tank I don't feel I need anywhere close to what lots of those places recommend for something as small as a 20g tank! That being said, I think I've put maybe half a dozen turbos and a half dozen other assorted snails all bought from a LFS into my tank, periodically replacing them as the need arises, not just if they die, not to mention you can get an idea of how well a particular snail/hermit/whatever will actually work to deal with your problems.

So yeah, shop local, you don't need as many as you think.

5. LeviT

LeviT Guest

I agree with you Mike. I can also say that not all tanks can support the same amount but it you are like me, it's just as fun to watch the crabs and snails sometimes so I make sure mine are fed well :)

Oh and the buying locally comment... totally hear you Mike but not all of us make the big $$ like you :) jk at these prices when starting up a tank I can't knock Matt for trying to save some $$ specially with these times we are in. I wonder if any of our LFS's would come close to these prices.... hmm

6. sfsuphysics

Well it's not a matter of making big bucks ;) Think of it like super sizing, for an extra 84 cents you can get twice as much food! What a deal! Yeah but I can barely eat the regular size... so yeah the price per pound of food is greater it'll be cheaper in the long run.

7. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

[quote author=LeviT link=topic=5014.msg61476#msg61476 date=1225392891]
    I agree with you Mike. I can also say that not all tanks can support the same amount but it you are like me, it's just as fun to watch the crabs and snails sometimes so I make sure mine are fed well :)

Oh and the buying locally comment... totally hear you Mike but not all of us make the big $$ like you :) jk at these prices when starting up a tank I can't knock Matt for trying to save some $$ specially with these times we are in. I wonder if any of our LFS's would come close to these prices.... hmm
    [/quote]

Nope, they pay that if not more themselves. Just another way to undercut the LFS and ensure they have an even harder time making it. Remember, with out the LFS expect to pay a TON more as they run the industry in terms of cash flow. with out their economy of scale the online guys won't be able to offer such cheap packages. It's a definite choice you have to make, like buying cheap Chinese goods as opposed to US made. We all have a part in how the economy plays out and where our dollars go. Buy local!!!

8. Raddogz

Raddogz Guest

Sorry Matt - my .02

Every time I have purchased "clean up crews" from Reeftopia or other vendors it's really been a toss up as to what was received - 50% of the time stock came in "healthy" as in very little die off in the bags. A good majority of the snails died the second week once the algae issues were resolved, and the hermit crabs decimated the rest and then each other.

These days I just buy snails and hermit crabs from LFS because I can see what I'm getting and I can purchase what I need vs. purchasing more than what I need. For me six or so Trochus snails for my 120g and maybe two to three of the same in my 58g. No real need for me (anyway) to go crazy in buying in excess

9. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

Nothing more expensive, or less useful then dead livestock :( This is part of the reason stores charge what they do and why group buys on livestock have so many problems. Looking back over the years here on BAR and livestock GB I would say less then half worked out in most everyones favor :(

10. seminolecpa

seminolecpa Past President

Heck and even with no live stock GB's, having to deal with people flaking on you and delivery and/or pick up make you wonder..... is it all worth it?

11. Elite

Elite Guest

Joined the GB on RC a long time ago. I lost 90% on the first day. The rest the next day... It was from reeftopia. I paid $50 plus for a bunch of dead snails ... never buy livestock again online. Cheaper to go to the LFS for me...

12. Dyngoe

Dyngoe Guest

Allright...I'll go see Ken at AC and buy local.

BTW Bryan....The reason you don't need a cleaner crew is you have nothing to clean. ;) If I was running a bare bottom SPS with only a few fish then I'd be in a different boat. BUT....I like lots of fish(i.e. lots of waste), anemones (i.e. waste) and lps(get the idea..waste). :p So, I need the cleaner crew. Oh, one more thing, my tank crashed and is basically rebuilding so I'm expecting an algae outbreak and I want to be proactive.

And, I agree with Levi; I like seeing little hermit crabs running around all over the place. I even tried growing zoos and GSP on my big turbo snails for fun. My friend had one that somehow caught an aiptasia on it's shell, that was fun to watch.

13. badbread

badbread Guest

Oh 'ish, your tank crashed Matt?! Sorry to hear, I know I read that something was awry... :(

14. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

try super gluing two hermit together and see who wins the tug of war....oops did I just say that :D

15. Gomer

Gomer Honorary Member

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=5014.msg61494#msg61494 date=1225395464]
    Nothing .... or less useful then dead livestock
    [/quote]

Don't be hating on hermits. They need a place to live too! Insensitive people are insensitive.

16. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

[quote author=Gomer link=topic=5014.msg61507#msg61507 date=1225397397]
    [quote author=GreshamH link=topic=5014.msg61494#msg61494 date=1225395464]
    Nothing .... or less useful then dead livestock
    [/quote]

Don't be hating on hermits. They need a place to live too! Insensitive people are insensitive.

[/quote]

Not what I was saying and not even CLOSE to the point I was making ;)

nothings is more useless then dead livestock!!!

I like hermits :p

And they have a place, it's called the ocean :p We yank them from their homes and relocate them in our glass prisons :D

17. sfsuphysics

Matt don't get me wrong I wasn't harping on the idea of getting clean up critters, its just what they clean is their food source, so if you get too many they starve die, add to your problem of algae, and if you're really unlucky not enough to deal with that.

if you want something that eats detritus target that, if you got something for a specific type of algae/diatom that you already have, then go that route.

18. Dyngoe

Dyngoe Guest

Crashed is probably not the "correct" term but I had a series of unfortunate events. First, when I moved the tank I experienced a Nitrate spike that never happened before. I also lost a few of my tangs due to something releasing a toxin in their temporary tank. Then, while in Dallas, my tank drained (I didn't install flapper valves) and my mother scrambled until 3AM with me on the phone to fill it back up. Lost a few more corals and the last of my tangs there. So, now I am somewhat rebuilding. Still have most of the coral and surprising all of my clowns but I'm seeing algae sprout up here and there so it's time to start the war.