Our mission

Cleaner Shrimp Death

Trying to figure out what's going on here in the last week both my cleaner shrimp died, one went missing the day before I added the pair of long nose Hawks and they showed no interest in the one that was left in the few days I've had them in that tank, just found the other one dead in two pieces this morning. Gonna test again later today but numbers have all been testing good or good for this setup as nitrates and phos run a little high with my current stock.

Only thing I could see that is off is my ph is ranging between 7.6 and 8.1 it looks like, only got the probe installed 2 days ago so don't have much data to work with, records from testing it prior to installing the probe were always between 7.8-8.1 for some reason ph always seems to be on the lower side, I was running the light over the fuge 24/7 but turned it off for 4-6hr a night when I slept to give the wrasse down there a little bit of a dark period thus the 7.6 ph readings.

Both shrimp have disappeared at night which makes me wonder if there is something in there I don't know about.

Any thoughts or advice would me much appreciated, also it's worth noting I have a pistol shrimp and a harlequin shrimp in there and both seem fine which makes me think it might be something other than the slightly low ph.

How large were they when you got them? From what I've read 2 years is when they start dropping dead due to old age.

Although I will say both of them going away at the same time is odd. Fish predation?

Yes on house closed and ac running but that is no different than last summer as it gets really hot in modesto and if I don't keep the temp down the majority of the time the pain from my nerve disorder gets worse and causes me to function less than I already do. O2 isn't measured but shouldn't be a problem I tossed an air stone in the sump about two weeks ago when I raised the amount for the carbon dosing as a just in case measure since I haven't gotten around to getting an orp probe.

As far as size I would say med or on the med side of small, I did some looking the other day when the other one disappeared and was seeing a range of 2-4 years in captivity, the newest things in the tank aside from the fish I mentioned are the harlequin shrimp and pistol shrimp little bit of coral here and there but all things a hitch hiker would have been visible on trachy, loose bubble coral, and a scoly.

The rest of the stock is a sohal and purple tang, pair of clowns, bi color blennie, scooter blennie, diamond goby, yellow head sleeper goby, flame angel, 6 line bastard, yellow corris wrass, the pair of Hawks and the naoko's fairy (he's in the sump, see previous comment about the bastard) the first shrimp went missing before the Hawks were added even so they paid no attention to the remaining shrimp and I doubt they are even big enough to have taken out the remaining one.

Haven't gotten to test yet as taking mom to Monterey yesterday did me in but tested the day before yesterday and everything was where it should be, nitrates were actually a little lower than expected based on time since last wc but them staying lower longer should be a good thing especially seeing as no one looked stressed after the wc.

The air stone won't really help if the house is closed up, the air in the house can get higher in c02. Maybe you can get a skimmer intake pulling from outside air?

I had a small yellow tang in my tank for about 4 months.

One day it just disappeared. He was there in the morning and that same night he was gone.

Straight houdini vanished. Without a single trace.

No detectable changes in phosphates/nitrates.
My hermits and two nassarius snails came out during feeding as usual instead of hovering over a buried corpse.

I looked all over the place. No skeletons. Looked all over the floor around the tank and in the sump area. No dried up fish. He just disappeared :\

I had a small yellow tang in my tank for about 4 months.

One day it just disappeared. He was there in the morning and that same night he was gone.

Straight houdini vanished. Without a single trace.

No detectable changes in phosphates/nitrates.
My hermits and two nassarius snails came out during feeding as usual instead of hovering over a buried corpse.

I looked all over the place. No skeletons. Looked all over the floor around the tank and in the sump area. No dried up fish. He just disappeared :\
I took him

I'm guessing it was just age and coincidence both the harlequin and pistol are fine so who knows lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back