Cali Kid Corals

Cleaner Shrimp & Zoanthids

I noticed my two cleaner shrimp have made a habit of lounging on my rock is zoanthids. Not picking at anything ... just hanging out on top of them. They seem to be on the zoanthids all the time -I am growing concerned as the zoanthids close, and remain closed as long as the shrimp are there. Has anyone had this happen to them? I'd hate to evict the shrimp, but I will if need be.

yes mine used to do that a lot. had to use long sticks to constantly scare them off the colonies...but they only picked at the acans/lobos and anemones stealing food sticking their whole arms inside the LPS/Nems.

650-IS350 said:
yes mine used to do that a lot. had to use long sticks to constantly scare them off the colonies...but they only picked at the acans/lobos and anemones stealing food sticking their whole arms inside the LPS/Nems.

I've been chasing them off with a baster, but that isn't a viable long term solution, yanno? Did your zoanthids show any signs of detriment when the cleaners were on them all of the time? My fear is that if the zoanthids continue to remain closed when the shrimp are on them, the zoanthids may slowly die from lack of light.

My experience has been the Dias get used to it and start opening after awhile. I'm sure it depends on the type though, some are hardier than others.

Does your cleaner have a place to hange upside down?
I noticed mine prefer to hang upside down rather than rightside up.
I only see them rightside up when feeding time comes around.

My rock work in the tank is very low key. I only have about five pounds of rock in this tank, so there are not overhanging arches or anything.
I do share your observations about many shrimps liking to lounge around upside down though.

+1 on hanging upside down

Mine only come "topside" when they're hungry or looking for food. I'd say build a small overhang for them and see if that helps. If not, do what Mario said and get some cocktail sauce ;)

+1 on upside down as well.
Mine like hanging out up near the very top of the tank, on the bottom of the overflow.
Upside down + able to see the whole tank + a nice visible cleaning station.
I think that is why an overhang, instead of a hole, works.

But even then, they do tend to stomp on my zoas occasionally.

I was planning on getting a pair of cleaner shrimp. Was worried more about LPS getting picked at than the zoas. I think the zoas will be hearty enough, but if something is always on them, they'll never open up.

Mine never really pick the corals.
They stomp on things, and often steal food out of the corals during dinner time.
But never any actual damage to coral.

Note : They are close to the top on my favorite livestock list.
Fun to watch. Very colorful.
And they can really tickle when you have your hand in arranging rocks or something,
and they decide to clean your hand.

Back