got ethical husbandry?

Cleaner shrimp

Has anyone successful raising these? Walked in to check out my tank and saw thousand of these little white thing in my tank. After couple minutes, I found out that one of my cleaner releasing fry.. it's so cool. 8)

Sorry I don't have a macro len... :(

mom.jpg

cleanershrimpfrys.jpg

Nice.

Don't know about cleaners, but here's some info on peppermints.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/april2004/feature.htm

I've seen raised cleaners, no info on it, other than it most likely would be more trouble than it's worth :D

Think of it this way, it's a nice way to add live plankton to your tank :D

Great photos! I agree with you it is very cool. More and more people are willing to cash up for captive bred. I would easily pay double or triple for captive bred. I have $100 right now for a captive bred Mandarin. Now where is it?

Nice photos Phong! My cleaners release larvae about every 3 weeks. Looks just like that, a cloud of tiny baby shrimp. The fish go nuts! :D

My husband wanted to try raising them until he read the info on raising peppermints (I read the info previously, but he had to read it for himself), then he said "'never mind". :( It is pretty laborious and intensive process I believe. It'll be great if someone tries though! :)

Way to go Phong! Any time I see something breed in captivity I am encouraged for the future of our hobby and the environment. Sheri, you get fry every three weeks? Tell me next time and I'll give them a go in my 7G.

This is my first time seeing them release the fry. I freaked out when I saw it because I didn't know what they were.. Very cool to see.. Fish love them.. talk about free meal..

Not fry, larvae :)

Well I have no idea where Mike has seen them but in the breeding world only a handful have done it and usually only one makes it out of the massively long larval stage.

They are not like Peppermints, they have a much longer and less understood larval stage.

The CB mandarins Matt W. did sold at auction for a few hundred IIRC.

Back