Reef nutrition

Cleaning Acrylic Tanks / Coraline

Ok, I know this has probably been asked a million times, but has anyone come up with a good way to clean acrylic tanks?

Right now I am using the Kent pro scraper, which works for about 10 cleaning strokes per scraper! And of course the credit card for anything that I can actually reach.

What are others using????

Believe it or not Dawn PowerScrubber as demonstrated by Melev. It can be purchased at Safeway, Albertsons, Target, Walmart, etc. Cost is under $10

Believe it or not it really does not scratch acrylic (the exception is if it catches a sand particle like a magnet would). I used it on my acrylic tank when it was set up.

i know this is probably taboo, but I've used a razor blade in the past, just angle it away from the scrapping direction and there's usually no issues with scratching.

I have no problems cleaning the stuff I can reach, credits cards are perfect for that - it's the stuff I can't reach thats an issue, and the Kent Scraper thing just doesn't make it much easier!

And Mike - as for your razor blade use, best we just keep that to ourselves ;)

Maybe take a piece of 1/2" PVC of appropriate length, then cut a slit in it at an angle and then jam a credit card into the slit an Voila! DIY long handled scraper! Actually, I did this with a razor blade for my glass tank, but I'm guessing it will work with a credit card and an acrylic tank.

V

I can't find those Dawn Scrubber things anymore! (Not at the Albertsons and Safeways near me anyway)

My sump is acrylic and has a thick layer of corraline on it. I tossed an urchin in there in the hopes that he'll eat the coralline off the walls and I can see into the sump again.

I tried the kent scraper ... useless on my coralline. I took ONE pass with a razor blade and ended up etching parallel lines on the tank wall (good thing it's a sump!)

V

One thing I've been using is just another piece of acrylic to scrape with, make sure it's fairly thick, and just cut it straight (or use the already cut part) and it should be quite the nice scraper)

OK, I've been to the Target, Safeway and Albertsons around me. GRRR!
The worst was last night, I went to Albertsons in San Carlos, where I thought I had seen it before. They DID have a "sonic scrubber" but it didn't look waterproof (it says "water tight", but I dunno...I wanna stick with a known quantity!) ... anyway, they had the REFILL brushes for these. It had it's own spot on a shelf and there were lots of them... but no fricken scrubbers! ARGH!

V

For those that just can't stand it anymore and is willing to risk a razor blade. I would recommend dulling the blade with fine sandpaper first. This reduces the chance of scratches to acrylic. Just round out the cutting edge and the corners. Sandpaper is also great for putting a new sharp edge on your Kent scraper or credit card.

The Dawn Scrubber didn't work very well for me but my tank used to be a 240 with thick coraline in the corners.

Wow, that urchin is clearing the coralline in my sump really well! Not perfectly clean, but a lot less now. I could probably scrape what he left with a credit card!

Again, this is in my sump, I wouldn't want him stripping my rocks of coralline. Now sure if he's scratching the acrylic itself, but the acrylic was otherwise opaque with coralline anyway.

I went to yet another safeway and yet again couldn't find the scrubber! I give up on it! Razor blade scraper (Home Depot, $3) for the glass and I'll leave the urchin to deal with the acrylic sump.

V

Good Lord, I finally found one of thise stupid Dawn Scrubber things! Albertson's on Mathilda&Maude in Sunnyvale. It was $9. Even though Mona said it didn't work great for her, I was too far into the "Quest" to fail now, so I had to buy it, even though the urchin is eating the stuff. I guess I'll just clean up what he didn't eat on the front glass.

If worse comes to worse, I can use it to wash my dishes! ;)

V

Back