Cleaning used tank

Discussion in 'Resources' started by NelsonCh, Jul 30, 2018.

1. NelsonCh

NelsonCh Supporting Member

Whats the best way to clean a used tank for starting over? Is it 1/3 bleach for every 2/3 water?

2. NanoCrazed

NanoCrazed Supporting Member

Vinegar

3. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

Clean it how? Worried about pathogens? 1:10 bleach solution at most, but honestly unless you're super worried about aiptasia I wouldn't bother with that, maybe if you had seriously nasty hair algae/briopsis that's an option with acrylic, but I wouldn't with glass for fear of the silicone hanging onto the bleach, for glass just razor blade everything out. To remove coraline or other calcium based gunk, vinegar is probably easiest, citric acid solution is another option (you buy the crystals and make it yourself) or diluted muriatic acid if you're careful and have serious built up stuff on it.

4. xcaret

xcaret Supporting Member

If you have coralline algae to remove, a towel/paper towels soaked in vinegar-water solution will make it really easy; leave it over night
    Glass tank with some other things like algae, a single edge razor blade and lots of elbow grease.

5. OnTheReef

OnTheReef OnTheReef (Eric) Supporting Member

Be very careful with blades, it’s super easy to scratch up the glass if grit gets between the glass and the blade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk