High Tide Aquatics

Closing down the tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yah once we find our own home we'll start up again. On that note this thread can come to an end. Looks like ashburn will be picking up everything if there is anything he doesn't end up taking I'll keep this post updated.
THE GREED OF ONE MEMBER!!
This is one of the reasons I don't participate in BAR anymore. Someone posts something to pay it forward to the club and the same GREEDY member can't help but take all of it. Again and again and again. How is this a benefit? - except to his wallet when he turns around and sells it. This makes me sick!! This is supposed to be a club and a lot of members (especially the new members) could use a freebie now and then. Not just one person, yet it continues.

Sorry, I should have read more closely. I see that Ashburn is going to pick it all up.

Sorry about the rental situation but I would be happy to give you some frags once you are back up and running again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've shut down and cleared out tanks like this before. It's so much easier to just have one person take everything. I see why people would get upset about one person taking everything but I don't feel like he's doing anything wrong. If everything was donated as DBTC, this wouldn't have upset anyone.

If everything was to shows up online with a price tag in a few weeks.... That would be ugly.

Whoa some of you guys need to take it easy. If I didn't know ashburn, I might've felt the same way, but he is a contributing member of this club. By that I don't just mean that he is a supporting member, but that he shares frags and helps out fellow reefers as well. And what's more, if you scroll up and read his comment.... he already said he would share. Side note: I have dibs on most of the stuff he's willing to share LOL.

sorry to hear you got to take your tanks down.

Everyone please remember the person who is giving stuff away decides on how or who they will give it too. We really have no say on how they want to pass things on. Please keep that in mind.

Whoa some of you guys need to take it easy. If I didn't know ashburn, I might've felt the same way, but he is a contributing member of this club. By that I don't just mean that he is a supporting member, but that he shares frags and helps out fellow reefers as well. And what's more, if you scroll up and read his comment.... he already said he would share. Side note: I have dibs on most of the stuff he's willing to share LOL.
Agreed!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I've shut down and cleared out tanks like this before. It's so much easier to just have one person take everything. I see why people would get upset about one person taking everything but I don't feel like he's doing anything wrong. If everything was donated as DBTC, this wouldn't have upset anyone.

If everything was to shows up online with a price tag in a few weeks.... That would be ugly.

Its not just about this single instance. Ever since I joined the club I’ve seen him take a healthy helping of free stuff, and he usually gets to them rather quickly. Anything marginally valuable on this forum usually gets swept up by the same 3 or so members. Definitely one of the reasons why I did not renew my membership this year. I understand that I am not entitled to everything posted for free and that the club isn’t all about ‘free stuff’, but it just seems to be getting unfair.
Nothing personal, best wishes to him and hopefully all the livestock will do well for him.

Its not just about this single instance. Ever since I joined the club I’ve seen him take a healthy helping of free stuff, and he usually gets to them rather quickly. Anything marginally valuable on this forum usually gets swept up by the same 3 or so members. Definitely one of the reasons why I did not renew my membership this year. I understand that I am not entitled to everything posted for free and that the club isn’t all about ‘free stuff’, but it just seems to be getting unfair.
Nothing personal, best wishes to him and hopefully all the livestock will do well for him.
You are certainly entitled to your opinion. I’ll point out the not renewing your membership only hurts you and the club, and doesn’t serve any teaching anyone a lesson purpose.

I'm sorry but that seems like a weak reason to stop supporting a club. This club is without a doubt one of the friendliest and generous clubs I have ever been involved with and without member support, it will die (look at NVR, they can't even get enough people to volunteer for BOD and can't afford to keep the website running).

Some people have the freedom to browse the forum and thr ability to pounce on deals like this quickly. Like others said, it's OP's decision on who takes what.

I know a guy in sac who jumps on this stuff and then turns around and sells it a month later. That pisses me off but what happened in this thread is fair game.

If it were me, I would have stipulated that the corals are all DBTC donations but this isn't my stuff.

You might be surprised to find that supporting membership continues to provide great value to its members in spite of this.

You might be surprised to find that supporting membership continues to provide great value to its members in spite of this.

Absolutely, unfortunately I do not have the time to attend many of the club events. I’ve tried making it out to some of the swaps but never got a chance. As stated above that was one of the reasons I left the club.

just a heads up, it is possible to set phone notifications when posts happen in sections of the forums. if you want to be one of the "quick people" just set phone alerts.

Im sorry to hear about your landlord situation. I am also a renter and always worried when the landlord has to come over to fix something. So far, not a peep about it. Im glad you are keeping your equipment and hope you find a new place soon so you can get it all set up again soon. And when you do, I have no doubt we will be here to help you get stocked up again.

I have never met @ashburn2k but he/she has helped BAR update a number of my requests to make this site better. We volunteer and work behind the scenes; unfortunately, none of this may ever be noticed outside of the BOD.

Please let's keep this thread with the intent of the OP.

BAR set up Pay-It-Forward to help promote community, good will, and helping others.

One of the things we used to say in the club was, “Give more than you get”. We heard this at swaps, and it represented a core club value that extended beyond frags and freebies.

I know that ashburn and others have kept this spirit in mind.

I did get corals from ashburn on two occasions. Both times when the original PIF was too far away or at the wrong time for me.

One of corals even was my long lost lavender candy cane. I got it from another BAR member in 2005, and it was my first LPS. It seems to be a rare color morph outside of the club, and I used to bring frags of it to every swap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back