Neptune Aquatics

Clownfish Eggs Disappearing

I have a pair of ocellaris that spawn regularly. I've noticed the last two clutches of eggs have mysteriously disappeared within 24-48 hrs. of laying. It seems to typically happen at night time. The first time, half was missing the first morning, and the other half went missing the following evening. This latest clutch ... gone overnight.
I have a small tuxedo urchin in the tank (M. globulus), a porcelain crab (N. maculosus), and two cleaner shrimp. The crab and shrimp have been in the tank for a long while now, and have never proven to be an issue in the past. The urchin is the newest addition to the tank ... so I'm thinking it is responsible for the raids.
I know there are a couple bristleworms in the tank as well. Unsure of whether or not they could be the culprit.
Thoughts?

Any inmate that can grab an egg or two will, after all is a yummy treat; I think the urchin has a lot to do with it, fish are easy to drive away by the clowns guarding the nesting spot.

xcaret said:
Any inmate that can grab an egg or two will, after all is a yummy treat; I think the urchin has a lot to do with it, fish are easy to drive away by the clowns guarding the nesting spot.

Yeah, I figure it is the urchin I have in there causing the trouble. Time to give the eviction notice.

yardartist said:
I am voting cleaner shrimp. Opportunistic. Crafty. Always famished. Venture out of comfort zone at night.

You think? I've had cleaner shrimp with my clowns for a long time now, and the egg disappearances have never been a problem.

It could be anything, even the parents. Unless you catch it going down its just going to be a bunch of guessing.

GreshamH said:
It could be anything, even the parents. Unless you catch it going down its just going to be a bunch of guessing.

Wow, I never thought about that possibility!
FWIW, the clowns have been laying eggs regularly for a while now -a little over a year. I've never had a clutch of eggs disappear before :(

Back