Controller Beta Testers Group Buy

Discussion in 'Group Buys' started by newhobby, Jan 6, 2010.

1. iCon

iCon Supporting Member

Anymore user feedback? How would this suit someone who's not experienced in programming at all? Fairly tech savvy but no programming experience

2. arthurlo

arthurlo Guest

Roberto has been responsive on the Google usergroup for the controller - he's posted up a few examples and walkthroughs for getting things accomplished. I don't know where he gets the time to make all the updates and offer the support that he has. It is amazing and I'm glad he loves this stuff.

You don't need to know too much about programming, but should have some background in at least reading any programming language and understanding the logic behind computer programming. The controller is definitely for the hobbyist looking to tweak things and not afraid to connect up a computer to adjust the programming. You would generally use Roberto's existing examples as a starting point and tweak to suit your setup.

I have it running on a separate tank right now and have tried some minor adjustments to the code, but have not used it to its fullest potential just yet. It will require some time on my end to play some more with the code.

Bottom line: If you are looking for something polished that works with your set up out of the box, then you should go for one of the other controllers on the market. If you are looking to tinker around, or looking for a controller with amazing potential down the road, I would say to consider the Reef Angel.

3. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

But the R.A. is also plug and play out of the box if you want to use the program installed :)

4. iCon

iCon Supporting Member

PnP with the options that it'll do what I need it to do? temp/dosing/lights...simple stuff.

I don't mind tinkering and adjusting code but learning the language and writing it from scratch would be tough. If there are codes available as mentioned and you can copy paste them and then adjust to your specifics, such as time or temp - That's not a problem

Thanks for the help guys

5. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

Dosing is not included in the basic program at this time :)

The code is pretty easy actually. I don't know how to code, but i can piece meal it together (cut and paste). I have yet to attempt this as I have had no time. I've piece mealed code many times over the years though :D

To update the BAYMAC website I had to learn basic coding for Drupal. Pretty straight forward stuff I must say. It it's anything like that, I'll be fine with it.

6. arthurlo

arthurlo Guest

Yes, I forgot to mention that the Reef Angel is plug and play out of the box with the existing base program.

As for the language, there is no need to learn a completely new programming language. Roberto has done all the hard work with the libraries. That leaves us free to just do some of the logic of turning on or off the sockets.

I hope Roberto doesn't mind, but here is the extent of the coding necessary to turn on/off a heater based on one of the temp sensors. And as Gresham mentioned in another thread, this thing comes with three temp sensors, so consider everything you could do knowing the room temp, water temp and light temp.
    Code:
    	 if (ReefAngel.Params.Temp1 < 785) ReefAngel.Relay.On(Heater);
    	 if (ReefAngel.Params.Temp1 > 795) ReefAngel.Relay.Off(Heater);

This turns the heater socket on when the temp of sensor 1 is below 78.5 and turns it off when the temp is above 79.5. Pretty straightforward, though not for the faint of heart if you have never seen any programming language before.

7. iCon

iCon Supporting Member

Nice. Seems fairly straight forward. I assume a code for the lights would be something like: if (ReefAngel.xxxx.time=0900) ReefAngel.Real.On(Light)

or something...

8. newhobby

newhobby Guest

Hey Icon,
    As people have already posted, my libraries take all the programming skills to the very minimum and you can always send me an email :)
    I actually have made lights function even easier. It's just as simple as adding this line:
    ReefAngel.StandardLights(Daylight,15,30,21,00); // Setup Daylight to turn on at 3:30PM and off at 9:00PM
    Can't be simpler than that IMO :)
    That would be a function for regular lights. If you have MH, which require a delay on power failure, you will need to wait until next week, when I update the libraries with that function.
    Reef Angel is very flexible and allows it to be modified at will, so I just listen to what people request and update the library to meet that demand. Pretty soon, the library is going to be really awesome :)
    The only issue I will not be able to attend is the ability to turn the "Power On" green LED off that Gresh wanted to disable :( He says it's too bright :(

Roberto.

9. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

it's only too bright as it was aimed right at my bed. That issue has been taken care off. I used a little Sharpie on it to make it less bright.

10. Gomer

Gomer Honorary Member

lol. that is the definition of Ghetto Fabulous.

11. houser

houser Past President

Sounds like you're ready to open up your own anodizing shop now ;)

12. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

I was thinking that, and gold electroplating :lol:

13. newhobby

newhobby Guest

Here is another question.
    I'm trying to find a way to make the relay box easier to manufacture.
    I'm debating between regular sockets like everyone else does or a squid type of configuration where all the sockets are place at the end of a short 1 foot cord.
    Whatever you can contribute would be awesome :)

Thanks

14. arthurlo

arthurlo Guest

I've think that the squid would be nice - though I don't know too many reef plugs that have the bulky transformer at the plug, but you may be able to make the relay box smaller.

My only thoughts were if the relay box could be made a little smaller/slimmer. I know that mechanical relays are not small physically, but if there is a way that you could use mechanical relays for some outlets and electrical relays for others. Then again, I have no complaints about the build quality on the current relay box.

Regardless, both the relay box and squid connectors would benefit from labels to identify the sockets. Though this is less of a problem with the box.

15. newhobby

newhobby Guest

Hey guys,

I have been working on the first wifi module and I'm not super happy with the way it is responding.
    This is a real controller connected to my wifi network.
    http://betatest.reefangel.com:2000/wifi

Let me know what you think of this.

16. newhobby

newhobby Guest

Well...
    Apparently there is something misconfigured on my T1...
    Let me check :(

17. newhobby

newhobby Guest

All right... Apparently the T1 tech support guys are totally incompetent and can't find out what's going on... lol
    So, I had to move the controller to a different location.
    Let's try again...
    http://betatest.reefangel.com:2000/wifi

18. newhobby

newhobby Guest

No comments on wifi??
    :(
    Anyway, does anyone have an ORP and/or Salinity probe laying around?
    I'd like to plug into ReefAngel and see if the amplification ramp of my circuit would handle the probes without modifications.

Thanks

19. bmhair03

bmhair03 Guest

I think The WiFi option will be awsome .Looks great

20. houser

houser Past President

I'm not clear on how RA works under the hood but I have a few basic questions. How many bits is/are your ADC's? Do you employ a PGIA anywhere?
    Salinity isn't treated like a DC probe input. Or do you already have the AC circuit laid out?